Help Bettas With Velvet

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Now that the issue with my Giant seems to be solved and this issue is now more clear to me, I basically need some guidance on treating Velvet.

I noticed that my EECT Betta Ava had a bit of gold coloring about two days after I first got her last week. I was not sure if this was her color or velvet, so I focused on figuring out my Giant Betta's ailment instead because I suspected SBD in him (both came from Petco and had poor water conditions, she did not look sick when I got her side from her blind eye). Around the other day or so, I noticed that it seemed to be worse on her.

I turned the lights off and only kept them on after work for about two or three hours to help the plants out. She is currently in a divided 10 gallon with my betta Invi. I was checking on them this morning and noticed that Invi definitely had it now, as her back - which is mostly black - is covered in "pollen". Ava does not look any worse though so I think her coloring is throwing me off big time with this, since she is more of a pastel set of blues, purple and red. :/

Will try to get pics tonight but they move so quickly that it is difficult. Neither of them are having a loss of appetite nor lethargic, but I believe I saw Invi rubbing against the water lace in her tank today.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've just checked on another of my bettas and noticed that my Black Orchid male also has velvet. @_@ He came from a different place though, so I'm really confused, as these two tanks have never come into contact with each other. I checked on the others and it seems that it is just the 3/5 bettas I have that are currently covered in it. Any help would be great, but I am also researching on it as much as possible right now.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got some video of Luxu and Invi today (Ava was just not wanting to cooperate). Anyone got any ideas? Is it velvet? And how do I treat it?

I asked the guy at Petco today and was leery of his answer (mostly because he assumed I had my bettas in bowls buuuuut that could just be what he expects people have them in and not his own opinion on the matter) but took the medication he suggested because I was going to feel bad about putting it back on the shelf and him seeing it. So I decided I would ask you guys about it first. I picked up some API Aquarium salt because I've seen a lot of people using that, and then the medicine that he recommended was Microbe-Lift Artemiss. I'll leave a link. Anyone used it before? I'm out of money now so what I have is what I've got unfortunately.

What was suggested: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/microbe-lift-artemiss-freshwater-treatment

Luxu and Invi:

My phone does suck so they go in and out of focus a bit. I'm about to do my water changes, so I wanted to figure this out first before I get started.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
STILL NEED HELP!!!

I currently have my tanks blacked out with paper surrounding them to keep any outside light from coming in. I'm getting to the point of putting trash bags over the tanks to try and get rid of any other possible light. I ordered some malachite green because I've heard this has helped a lot of people but it wont be in till Friday. Is there anything else I can do to help delay this disease or fix this??? Please someone help, I don't want to screw this up and I don't want to loose any of my bettas.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I wouldn't trust the microbe-lift stuff because it's a herbal remedy and stuff like that is shady because they don't list any ingredients.

Warmer temperatures speed up the velvet lifecycle so lowering it a bit can help slow it down. I've used Paraguard to successfully treat my betta's velvet. Copper and methylene blue are other ways to treat velvet.

Velvet can be spread through equipment so disinfect any that has been in any contact with either tank.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll see about getting a refund on that then, though I doubt I'll get anywhere there. :/

Should I bring up the temps? Would wrapping a blanket around the tanks help? I have preset heaters still, I wasn't able to find any adjustable ones at the store that would fit my tank.

I did see Paraguard and I'm glad to be getting a second opinion on that! I have to take out of my house savings to buy it but I've thrown it into my Amazon cart so hopefully it will be here faster than the last item. As for equipment, I've honestly been too afraid of spreading it, so I haven't done my water changes yet in fear of my healthy fish catching it. I've got two different types of gravel vacs and two different nets, so I suppose I could split them. Just in case, how would one disinfect the supplies?

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You were asking how to delay velvet so I was saying to lower the temperature a bit because velvet needs warmer temperatures to go through their life cycle and reproduce. You should only raise the temperature when there's medication in the tank to faster reach the stage when the parasite is vulnerable. If you can't adjust the temperature lower then it's fine. The blanket may help keep the heat in when you need to raise the temperature.

A diluted bleach solution can be used to disinfect equipment.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Should I add salt while I wait for the medicine to come in? I'll be buying some Paraguard tonight, and hopefully that comes in before the other medicine does. In the mean time, can I add some salt into my aquariums? How much for a divided 10 gallon and for a 5 gallon?

I have looked at them earlier and two of them seem better, but my Koi - Invi - has a loose scale just barely hanging on. She isn't too powdery from what I can tell, but otherwise, still pretty bad.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, it arrived today while I was at work. Am I able to use the salt with the Paraguard or no? Do I have to keep the tank covered after using the medicine and stuff? Or can I just keep the lights off? It's honestly terrifying me not knowing what I'm going to find underneath their cover.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Last edited:

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you so much! Everything that you have given me has been very helpful.

I just added the Paraguard and am waiting on the salt to dissolve before adding it in. My plants are all dying and my poor girls have ripped fins/holes.

My koi girl, Invi, is absolutely looking terrible and is covered like crazy, her breathing is also labored. I'm so worried that she isn't going to make it, but hopefully it isn't too late and she does make it. Otherwise, she looks like a velvet figure.

My male, Luxu, seems to be doing 10x's better in terms of his. It isn't so bad. He used to look like literal velvet, but now seems to have a very light and fine powder compared to before.

My other girl, Ava, I absolutely can't tell. It blends in so well with her colors that I can't even pick it up with a flash light. But I suspect she is the reason it happened in the first place.

I want to tear the tank down, quarantine them till they are better, and then start over again so badly. Now I know to carry around medicine for the rest of my hobby-life @_@ Trash bags are going to go over the tanks, along with the paper on the glass. Wish me luck.

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I want to tear the tank down, quarantine them till they are better, and then start over again so badly. Now I know to carry around medicine for the rest of my hobby-life @_@
I felt like doing that too just reading your post! I totally know that feeling of utter frustration and despair when it seems like it's all going wrong and your fish are suffering.

Do you have a QT already setup? If so, I'd just somehow try to divide it and treat them all together. Bettas are a pain when it comes to this sort of thing. I believe I read that if you remove the fish, the remaining velvet parasites in the tank will die off without hosts.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't have a QT unfortunately. I do have critter keeps, which are basically 1 Gallon containers that I use for water changes only. I can't seem to figure out a way to keep a proper filtration in the containers and I have an autistic child who will most likely try playing with the containers. I've been lucky that he has left my paper creation alone when it comes to blocking out light (apparently my trash bags do not fit the tanks so that's a bust there :/).

That does seem accurate though, since they need the fish. I would love to figure something out. Hopefully everyone lives until I can find something to keep them in until then. I added in the salt and - while I killed a pond snail or two in the process - none of my fish seem stressed by this from what I can tell. I'm also learning the need to have equipment for each individual tank. Can't get any water changes done right now because the last tank I had everything in was with the velvet (and I have no bleach), next pay day cannot come sooner I swear. Dx

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got a a nice 5 gallon Sterilite tub for $6 at Walmart and put in a box filter I got for a few bucks at kensfish.com, stuffed with ceramic rings and filter floss. I have Molly juveniles in there now. My supposed-to-be quarantine tub is 3 gallons but is occupied by a Molly and the bullied male platy. Definitely not ideal, but it's what has to happen until they can all get along, hopefully my latest plant order will help. Both are barebottom since young fish poop a lot and it's easier to clean the smaller QT tub, which has an airstone tucked into a shallow Dollar Tree tray of gravel and filter floss as a cheap DIY filter, as I couldn't find one short enough for the short and long tub.
I have a university student budget and get my financial aid and student loan payments every three months, plus I have crazy high rent, so wherever I can cut corners effectively, I will.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So an update:

Everyone seems to be getting better. Invi, who had the worst of it, has probably a little under half of the amount gone from her body. She lost a scale and has another loose scale from what I can tell, but she seems better. My pond snails also survived somehow despite the salt I put in, which is surprising but I mean ...

Ava and Luxu seem better too. Luxu seems to have a more slower time getting rid of it but otherwise, he's good and Ava is difficult to tell with because of her coloring so I'm using Invi as a judge on her health since she is worse than Ava.

Thank you for your suggestions though!! I'm really enjoying Paraguard and will be reordering more in the future just in case! As well, my plants seem to be dying, but I am finding newer stems that I didnt notice before. I'm not sure if this is the same plant or new growth but I'm hoping it is the latter of the two.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you so much for your suggestion again!! I'm gonna keep medicating for a week but it seems like it is almost completely gone!! My plants are dead but my fish are definitely alive!! Here is a video of Invi that I uploaded looking spectacular!

Also a pic of my once pretty tank after all the plants died. :'(

Attachments

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's great! Well, hopefully the plants will recover... They likely didn't enjoy the salt.

I see fire.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most likely. I'm getting seperate gravel vacs on Thursday so there wont be as much salt in the tank after I do some water changes (I'll still be treating with paraguard though). I spent about $40 for these plants so I really hope they do grow back soon. Thankfully my clover carpet seems unaffeccted by my dwarf hairgrass ... Yikes. And some how the snails survived salt armageddon so :/

Also, in the video there are white spots all over the glass. Any idea what this was caused by or what it is? I may start a seperate thread for it though.

Here are some before and after pics of both tanks below.

Attachments

CheshireKat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't really tell. I get seed shrimp in my 7 gallon betta tank that will speckle the glass. Do the dots move or seem alive? Are there any tiny things swimming in the water?

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 34 63.0%

Top Bottom