Bettas With Dwarf Cory's

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by JocularElf, Apr 10, 2017.

1. JocularElf

JocularElf Valued Member Member

Hello everyone!

I have an established 10 gallon tank with a Betta in it. It has sand substrate and a few plastic plants and decorations. I hope to plant it in the future. My main question though is if I could put a group of 4-5 dwarf cory cats in there with my Betta.

2. L

Levibeast Valued Member Member

Hello, I'm no expert. I have 6 habrosus cories with my Betta. It definitely depends on the personality of your betta as some can be territorial and be more aggressive. My betta definitely chased, stalked and lunged at my cories for the first two days. He ignores them now, but it was definitely something that was not fun to watch. My cories were a bit faster and learned to swim away. Now they can feed pretty close to each other. Good luck!

3. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't do it. They need a minimum of 15 gallons

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately not. Cories need to be in groups of 6+ of their own species in a larger tank (a 10 gal is too small). Unfortunately the dwarf cories, including C. pygmaeus, C. habrosus, and C. hastatus, also are not temperature compatible with bettas.

5. OP
    OP
    JocularElf

Alright thanks guys! That's what I figured just wanted a double check.

6. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I find the a "10 gal is too small" comment hypocritical and it does not make much sense to me. This is the only forum where everyone says that a 10 gal is too small for a dwarf corydora, I wonder who started with the tradition.
    My 10 gal is 20 inches long, 20 times bigger than a dwarf corydora. Yet it is too small? If that is the case why are people ok with keeping a school of endlers in a 5 gal?
    Following that dwarf corydora logic I would need a 60 inch long tank to house Tiger Barbs (which are also active fish) yet people are fine with keeping tiger barbs in 30 gals which are obviously not 60 inch long tanks?
    It is all just confusing to me.

And I dont know if they are really not temperature compatible. There are 3 different species of dwarf corydoras, some do well in the 22-26 Celsius range and others do well in the 22-28 Celsius range. Even the ones that are in the range of 22-26 could do well with the Betta if you keep the temperature at 25 Celsius.
    I think a 10 gal tank with a betta and 6 dwarf corydoras is a possibility, maybe even a little bit more corydoras. You would really have to heavily plant it tho, dwarf corydoras need and love plant cover, you will know you have given them both good plant cover and a good diet when they start breeding.

7. OP
    OP
    JocularElf

Hmm. Maybe I'll just have to try it and find out. Seems like one of those situations where some people can do it and some can't. I think I'll try it and let you guys know how it goes.

8. TexasDomer

Cories are very active little guys and really should be kept in large groups (larger groups than endlers), hence the recommendation for a larger tank.

What dwarf cories are okay in 28 C? Planet Catfish, which is arguably the most accurate and reliable source of info for catfish, has their max temp much lower. I wouldn't keep bettas at 25 C. 26-28 C is ideal.

9. OP
    OP
    JocularElf

I just went to that website and read the requirements for it and my tank temp is almost at its cap at 78 degrees. I compared them to the pygmy Cory but I thought those were the same. It didn't say anything about pygmy Cory's being kept in shoals. So I'm a little confused.

10. TexasDomer

Pygmy cories should be kept in shoals as well - all cories should be kept in groups of 6+. They were probably assuming this was known :)

You don't want to keep a fish at the extreme ends of their ranges either. So for a fish with a max temp of 78 F, I would keep them at 76 F or (ideally) below.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice