Bettas With Diamond Eye

Bettas With Diamond Eye

  • Thread starter

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,498
Reaction score
4,933
Points
608
Experience
5 to 10 years
Platylover submitted a new resource:

Diamond Eye - Short care sheet for bettas with diamond eye.

*This was a post I made earlier this year, but I'm trying out this resource thingy.

Hey everyone, I figured I might try my hand at writing an article. Hopefully this will be helpful, any feedback would be great!
Diamond eye, snake eye, or dragon eye

These are all the same thing. Diamond eye is where the scales begin to grow and cover the eye. It's most common in dragon scales, but can happen in regular bettas as well. Usually it's breed in since the breeders are trying to get the perfect,...
Read more about this resource...
 

Ed204

Well Known Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Points
158
Experience
2 years
Awesome work! Thanks for the caresheet!
 
  • Thread starter

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,498
Reaction score
4,933
Points
608
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ed204 said:
Awesome work! Thanks for the caresheet!
Thank you! Just hope it can help someone a little since there isn’t to much out there on it.
 

Ed204

Well Known Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Points
158
Experience
2 years
Platylover said:
Thank you! Just hope it can help someone a little since there isn’t to much out there on it.
I hope it will too, ill be sure to recommend people to check it out!
 

Hill Dweller

Well Known Member
Messages
592
Reaction score
448
Points
108
Experience
1 year
Nice resource. I can try to get a picture tomorrow for you, we have a fella who is getting down to pin holes left to see through. It's only taken a few months from having perfect eyes to this.

I do wonder if it's actual scales or some other "substance" produced by the body, as a lot of pics look totally smooth across the eye, rather than "scaly". I'd be interested to know what it really is. Eg, is it pigment, we know the marble gene can totally change a betta in just weeks. Is there something similar at play? Our guy started blue (not very metallic) with a chalky white head, then in a few weeks turned completely blue and became increasingly metallic over time. The eyes got covered as the metallic consolidated. The LFS guy reckons it's something he sees more of now in the very iridescent ones.

Will try to remember a pic for you tomorrow
 

Ed204

Well Known Member
Messages
3,960
Reaction score
1,258
Points
158
Experience
2 years
Hill Dweller said:
Nice resource. I can try to get a picture tomorrow for you, we have a fella who is getting down to pin holes left to see through. It's only taken a few months from having perfect eyes to this.

I do wonder if it's actual scales or some other "substance" produced by the body, as a lot of pics look totally smooth across the eye, rather than "scaly". I'd be interested to know what it really is. Eg, is it pigment, we know the marble gene can totally change a betta in just weeks. Is there something similar at play? Our guy started blue (not very metallic) with a chalky white head, then in a few weeks turned completely blue and became increasingly metallic over time. The eyes got covered as the metallic consolidated. The LFS guy reckons it's something he sees more of now in the very iridescent ones.

Will try to remember a pic for you tomorrow
Sorry to hear about your betta, I hope that he's does better!
 
  • Thread starter

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,498
Reaction score
4,933
Points
608
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hill Dweller said:
Nice resource. I can try to get a picture tomorrow for you, we have a fella who is getting down to pin holes left to see through. It's only taken a few months from having perfect eyes to this.

I do wonder if it's actual scales or some other "substance" produced by the body, as a lot of pics look totally smooth across the eye, rather than "scaly". I'd be interested to know what it really is. Eg, is it pigment, we know the marble gene can totally change a betta in just weeks. Is there something similar at play? Our guy started blue (not very metallic) with a chalky white head, then in a few weeks turned completely blue and became increasingly metallic over time. The eyes got covered as the metallic consolidated. The LFS guy reckons it's something he sees more of now in the very iridescent ones.

Will try to remember a pic for you tomorrow
Gosh, really sorry to hear that it’s getting so bad so quick... That is an interesting idea, maybe it’s like that because of the shape or because the eye is made differently than what scales should be on(if that makes any sense). Interesting that it’s becoming more common in irids, I guess that would make enough sense considering dragon/metallics also have iridescent genes. I really hope one day there’ll be a scientific study on this, as it’s an extremely strange and interesting thing and it’d be great to figure out exactly what and why it happens. A photo would be great! Thank you for the offer!
 

Hill Dweller

Well Known Member
Messages
592
Reaction score
448
Points
108
Experience
1 year
Ed204 said:
Sorry to hear about your betta, I hope that he's does better!
Considering he's got a tumour the size of his head growing from one gill the diamond eye is the least of his worries, poor guy. I read gill tumours might be treated with iodine so I tried soaking his food for weeks but it made no dent :-( it's a shame, he belongs to the little person in our house and is much adored
 

Hill Dweller

Well Known Member
Messages
592
Reaction score
448
Points
108
Experience
1 year
Platylover said:
Gosh, really sorry to hear that it’s getting so bad so quick... That is an interesting idea, maybe it’s like that because of the shape or because the eye is made differently than what scales should be on(if that makes any sense). Interesting that it’s becoming more common in irids, I guess that would make enough sense considering dragon/metallics also have iridescent genes. I really hope one day there’ll be a scientific study on this, as it’s an extremely strange and interesting thing and it’d be great to figure out exactly what and why it happens. A photo would be great! Thank you for the offer!
No worries, hopefully it helps somehow.

I had cause to read up on pop eye this week and it seemed to be that there is a membrane/skin over the eye (which made sense as my poor cory's face did seem all stretched and wonky on the popping side) anyway, maybe that membrane can support or develop the iridescent pigment in the same way scales and fins do, and perhaps with the constant breeding for more and more of every feature, something has gone wonky, some gene that would normally switch pigment off across the eye or other body parts has got broken along the way? Just thinking aloud! :)
 

Hill Dweller

Well Known Member
Messages
592
Reaction score
448
Points
108
Experience
1 year
Photo is proving hard to get, the iPhone adjusts the colour wildly and the fish is skittish when you get too close because he can hardly see. Alternatively he sits perfectly still behind a patch of algae!
:)
 
  • Thread starter

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,498
Reaction score
4,933
Points
608
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hill Dweller said:
Photo is proving hard to get, the iPhone adjusts the colour wildly and the fish is skittish when you get too close because he can hardly see. Alternatively he sits perfectly still behind a patch of algae!
Sorry to be replying late! Poor thing, I'm sure it is a bit startling since he can't see well. Such a sad thing to happen . And of course, he's still an animal so even when he is just chilling he can't make it easy to get a photo! It's alright if you aren't able to get a photo, just you offering was very nice and I really appriecate it.
 

Hill Dweller

Well Known Member
Messages
592
Reaction score
448
Points
108
Experience
1 year
Platylover said:
Sorry to be replying late! Poor thing, I'm sure it is a bit startling since he can't see well. Such a sad thing to happen . And of course, he's still an animal so even when he is just chilling he can't make it easy to get a photo! It's alright if you aren't able to get a photo, just you offering was very nice and I really appriecate it.
All good I'm sure we are in wildly different time zones :) I will see about another go tonight
 

SAECommunityBettaTank

New Member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Experience
Just started
Hello, I'm completely new to this website. However, I would like to add, I think my betta may be undergoing some sort of odd change in color in his eyes that might be similar to what you are mentioning here. He may in fact be going blind and I will try my best to get a picture of him as soon as I can upload one. (Unfortunately, he is currently in a hospital tank recovering from Ich, :[ )
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom