Bettas with Angelfish?

TypicalAqua

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi I'm I new owner but I had experience for a year. I have a community tank with small Angels, Molly, platies, zebra danios, black skirt tetras, Cory cats, and 1 pleco. I was wondering if I could put 1 male betta and 1 female betta my tank is 100 gallons and fully cycled. I hate plants and hiding spaces and none of my fish are aggressive. If possible what type of food to bettas need?

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!
I'd not do bettas in that large of a tank, and imo they should be kept on their own.
Even if I were to say that they can be kept with other fish, livebearers, angelfish, zebra danios, and tetras don't make good tankmates for them.
The betta doesn't like brightly colored fish (like livebearers and angelfish), fin nippers, (like zebra danios and tetras), and fish with long tails (like angels).

Reel lady fishing

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
no. Bettas are a definite no. You may not know this but they are highly aggressive and will pick a fight with almost any fish. Never put a betta in that scenario nor 2 in a single tank.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
TypicalAqua said:
Hi I'm I new owner but I had experience for a year. I have a community tank with small Angels, Molly, platies, zebra danios, black skirt tetras, Cory cats, and 1 pleco. I was wondering if I could put 1 male betta and 1 female betta my tank is 100 gallons and fully cycled. I hate plants and hiding spaces and none of my fish are aggressive. If possible what type of food to bettas need?
If you're going to put bettas with tankmates, angelfish are a big no-no. Here is a link to a fascinating discussion involving bettas and tankmates:

AndreDecasa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ive tried it with a female It worked somehow the betta is just a freaking saint plus the Angel is not very big yet (kept them together in the community for like a month). I'm not sure with males though, I wouldnt risk or play with it. Its always good not to mix things If youre not very professional enough. at the end.

"ITS DEPENDS ON THE FISH"

James Cochran

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can keep Bettas with other fish with proper care and design to your aquascape. Flow is the easiest way to differ better fish away from fish and mellow aggression. If you create a lagoon area of your fish tank with low flow while the other areas experience more turbulent conditions with a lot of turnable hiding spots it'd probably work. Easier said than done, but has been done.

The bettas would isolate themselves to the low flow areas of the tank. It'd be easy to do with a big hard rock scape with aout 90-180lbs of rock.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
James Cochran said:
The bettas would isolate themselves to the low flow areas of the tank. It'd be easy to do with a big hard rock scape with aout 90-180lbs of rock.
But what would happen if the betta accidentally got swept out of that area into the current?
I wouldn't do it, honestly. Way too risky.

James Cochran

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anders247 said:
But what would happen if the betta accidentally got swept out of that area into the current?
I wouldn't do it, honestly. Way too risky.
180 pounds of rock is a lot to provide a lot of hiding spots and swimmable area. Bettas are not unable to swim in flow hahah. Did you know they live in rivers? Just recently we found the fighting fish in the Adelaide River... Risky for the betta?

My girlfriend keeps Neon tetra, a drawf honey gourami, and a betta in a 10 gallon cube with a jungle of plants and a TINY hob. Have you seen a neon tetra (they have piraña blood) chase a betta ? They have such flowy fins. People think bettas are aggressive with other fish... They try to be haha. They fight other fighting fish a lot....

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
James Cochran said:
180 pounds of rock is a lot to provide a lot of hiding spots and swimmable area. Bettas are not unable to swim in flow hahah. Did you know they live in rivers? Just recently we found the fighting fish in the Adelaide River... Risky for the betta?
What species of betta are those? The ones we have in aquariums have been bred to have very long fins, that don't really help them to swim..... the ones in the wild don't have those excessively long fins.

James Cochran

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh no you're very much so correct, the species that inhabit rivers are smaller finned and in return can swim better in the higher flows rivers offer. And obviously the Betta I got my girlfriend is unique for that situation as well.

Not all bettas can live with other fish and handle the same flow. the common thought that the betta is a still water ultimate aggressive fish is a little far fetched haha.

octopanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bettas are a no

djr1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TypicalAqua said:
Not sure why you want to add a betta.
Nice size tank.
I know you hate plants and hiding places but that's what bettas need. And your other fish too.

Joshua Drake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After my most recent episode of fish death, I'll never put a betta in a tank with other fish again. It just begs for disaster. I'd keep the betta in a smaller tank by itself. 100g for a betta is just a waste, plus they need to be able to get to the surface fairly quickly otherwise it will (for a lack of a simpler term) drown. Betta's and Gourami's have a labyrinth organ that breaths oxygen from the air as well as the water, and they need to be able to use both periodically.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
IMO, 100 gallons is way too much for a betta. Plus, of your current stock, I'd only recommend the pleco and cory cats and maybe, if you're really lucky, the danios and tetras. Danios can be really bad fin nippers. Plus, you probably shouldn't try putting a male and female betta together. Unlike some other types of fish, bettas don't really work that way. If you really want a betta community tank, here's a link:

James Cochran

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One betta just isn't active enough to justify a whole 100g built around it.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Plus, they aren't as good in taller tanks. They get so small and live in shallower water in the wild.
They need to be able to reach the surface easily.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom