Bettas... where to buy and temperature?

ricktavious
First, debating with myself on where to get my next betta. Save one from one of those Petsmart cups (poor little guys...but it's giving money to the people who keep them in the cups) or from a store where bettas have crystal clear water and are much better taken care of? Leaning towards the better store as of now, but I just feel so bad for the ones at Petsmart

Also, temperature.....in one of my tanks, the heater is set on 80 degrees. However, there must be some heat source near-by (computer? tv? window? really not sure since it's not obvious). The temp usually rises to 82 or 83 degrees, but falls back down to 80 at night. Would the fish be stressed under this condition if I kept the set up as is? Or, would raising the temp to 82 in the tank, and thus keeping the fluxuation down, be a better thing to do for the fish?

COBettaCouple
if it rises 2-3 degrees during the day, is that because of room temperature or incandescent tank lighting? you could try it and see if it rises to 84-85 or stays level around 82.. that much fluctation isn't too bad during the course of a day.

ricktavious
To be honest, not too sure what causes the rise. Could be that the tank is near the computer. The tank is on a desk, the computer tower is underneath, and the monitor is nearby. Doesn't seem like too much heat comes from either though. The other tank on the other side of the room stays a constant 80 though, with the light on 8 or so hours a day.

COBettaCouple
the tanks I have near my computer tend to rise in temp more than other tanks.. I'll advise putting tanks near a computer to help keep the water warm when someone has a broken heater or is missing one.

To be honest, not too sure what causes the rise. Could be that the tank is near the computer. The tank is on a desk, the computer tower is underneath, and the monitor is nearby. Doesn't seem like too much heat comes from either though. The other tank on the other side of the room stays a constant 80 though, with the light on 8 or so hours a day.

Tom
Also, temperature.....in one of my tanks, the heater is set on 80 degrees. However, there must be some heat source near-by (computer? tv? window? really not sure since it's not obvious). The temp usually rises to 82 or 83 degrees, but falls back down to 80 at night. Would the fish be stressed under this condition if I kept the set up as is? Or, would raising the temp to 82 in the tank, and thus keeping the fluxuation down, be a better thing to do for the fish?

The 2-3 degrees is not anything to worry about since the waters where the fish come from do roughly the same thing over the course of a day.
Tom

phlox
If it rises a lot I would set the temp to 78F. Too high a temp for a long time can actually damage internal organs. I have several of my tanks set to 78F and the fish are doing great and lively as ever. I don't like a temp of 82F in my tanks unless they are sick and for some reason need higher temps.
At 78F your tank temp would rise to about 80F all day and drop a little at night. This is fine and is perfectly normal as this is what happens in nature too. At nightfall the temp always drops a little. The fluxuation will not go down by setting the tempo higher. In fact the temp would then rise to 84F which is not good. A small drop in temp actually helps relax them and tells them it's time to go to sleep.
As for where to get the Betta. That's a hard one... All Bettas deserve a chance but I think in spite of everything, the Petsmart Bettas are more in need. If you go in on a Thurs you should be able to get one that has just arrived. They get their shipments on Wed.

Kevin
I would get one from both...that way you have a good healthy one...and one that is more of a "project"

ricktavious
I would get one from both...that way you have a good healthy one...and one that is more of a "project"

Only have one available tank.....since my living space is so tiny right now (only two more months until no more college, no more crappy apartment, and no more living in a city with two times more people in can hold) and my budget is tight (see previous statement, haha), only one more betta for now

Kevin
hahaha!
I got the same problem...except i'm a little over capacity right now...but in about 3 months i'm gonna get either two 20-30 gal. or a 55-75 gal for fairly cheap

chickadee
I read an article on Bettas in Tropical Fish Magazine a couple of months ago and the experts that were writing there mentioned that 80 degrees was kind of a maximum you should aI'm for in the tank when they are healthy. Any higher and the temperature speeds up their metabolism and actually shortens their lives. Fish are cold blooded and the higher the temperature above the suggested level makes their internal systems work harder and ages them faster. The temperature needs to be raised when they are being treated for Ich but this should be the only time they have elevated temperatures in their tanks.

My tanks are kept at 79 to 80 degrees now all the time and the bettas all seem to be doing well.

Rose

COBettaCouple
I think tomorrow, I'll drop all the heaters 2 degrees.. the temps have been unusually warm so we've not had the heaters come on much yet and the tanks get to 80-82 on their own.

ricktavious
Update:

1: With no heater plugged in, the temp is still rising to 81 in the tank, which has been cleaned out with scalding hot water and vinegar. Must be the computer is heating it up, which obviously, can and will be prevented once the little guy gets home.

2: Went to the good pet store where they take really good care of the bettas, and Petsmart today. My decision has been made to get a Petsmart betta. My heart goes out too those poor guys Makes me even more sad knowing that in many cases, they will not be going to better off situations.

Will get the new betta on Tuesday, will post pictures when he gets here. Really excited, though of course, the new one will not be able to replace Ricktavious. Still miss the little guy

COBettaCouple
we wish you the best with your new Betta!

Barbrella
Some lucky little betta is going to have a great home!

chickadee
All of my little guys are sending a big and anxiously awaiting the news of a new member of the betta community. They can hardly believe how large the place has gotten while we have been away and they are so glad you are going to help a little PetSmart Betta Brother or Sister.

Rose

Yes, Rose's bettas have started talking again, she is officially listening to them again.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Pescado_Verde
Replies
Views
ghrowl
Replies
Views
Morpheus1967
  • Poll
Replies