Bettas together?

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i have a very bizarre question - we have the bettas - Oscar and Calamarrie - next to each other in my room - could they eventually get so used to each other and like each other that they could go in the same tank?  i know bettas don't go together but some are friends and can/do go together...  Miley

lolagurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
which bettas are these?my brother about 6 years ago had two betta tank beside eachother for a year, then my little little brother put one with the other, and they killed eachother

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
uummm... my bettas - Oscar and Calamarrie. Calamarrie is calm and flares but isn't agressive but Oscar has a bit of a hot temper but he is VERY VERY VERY trusting once hes around you for a while. Miley

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Miley, the tank you have is only appropriate for a (one) betta and an oto or a snail.

If you put Oscar and Calamarie together, they will hurt each other or kill each other. I am sorry but this is just not possible.

Rose

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just to set the record straight:  You should NEVER EVER EVER put two male bettas together in a tank unless you have a huge tank (and I mean, 300 gallons or more, and even then its a risk).  You should put a male betta with a female betta together only under supervision if you are trying to breed them, and before you do that you should do a ton of research.  Multiple females can be kept together SOMETIMES but you should be sure you have a lot of room, three or more (with just two, one will get picked on constantly and will die of stress), put them together all at once (preferably very young), and watch them closely because they can turn on each other at any time.  I don't care if you've heard a story of two bettas being kept together successfully under any circumstances, or if you once kept two together and they didn't kill each other.  IF that kind of thing happens, its a fluke, and its totally not worth it to try it with your bettas.  You may think your bettas are insanely passive, pacifist, sweet, happy, whatever - their nature is to fight and kill each other.  They can start out fine and then suddenly instinct kicks in and you come home to dead mister (or miss) betta.  DO NOT put them together.  I'm sorry if I'm coming off as rude - really I'm glad that you didn't try the experiment first and THEN come ask what went wrong - but I've seen a few people post on here recently about keeping bettas together and I can't stand it... they are NOT MEANT TO BE KEPT TOGETHER.  DON'T DO IT.  NEVER.  NO.  BAD IDEA.  

OK I'm guessing I got my point across sufficiently.  Please spread the word, too.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In this particular area of the forum we have kind of gotten to the point where we do not even encourage females being put together as we have had serious injuries and deaths due to trying this. I cannot put it strongly enough that this should not be done. I know you care about your fish and it would be very selfish to do this to them. Please do not ever do it.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And let me add this just for the heck of it No males together, no females together (under 99% of circumstances, and no males & females together either!! Some people think that cause they breed, a male and female will get along fine.-NOT I have heard of experienced breeders both having their male kill the female and having the female kill the male. So just NEVER NEVER put ANY two Bettas together or they will probably BOTH DIE (ie one gets killed and other dies from injuries from fight)

I believe we are sufficiently clear now

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ya i kinda firgured  -  bummer.  oh well thnx for all the advice!!  Miley

lolagurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
what bettas are you talking about that can/do live together?...not living bettas i think

Terry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I don't think I saw it mentioned in this thread, but when I was young the bettas were often sold as "Siamese Fighting Fish". That "Fighting" is the key word to remember. They were used similarly to pit bulls in dog fights - people placed bets on which fish would survive when two (typically 2 males) were put together in a bowl. If anyone's been lucky enough to get 2 of any sex to live peacefully together in a tank then it is indeed a fluke & they may come home one day to find one or both dead.

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ya i kinda firgured - bummer. oh well thnx for all the advice!! Miley

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, I think we all understand the need to keep them seperated now and I am sure that Miley is not going to put them together so we have pretty much covered the subject.

Rose

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known Member
Reaction score
yep! Thanks everybody! Miley

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom