Betta's tail is ragged!

Tazmiche
home from a nightshift to find....new question?!?!

Kismets tail ragged!! Ok not too horrendous BUT when I said goodnight to Kiz before work it was a full Delta tail. I realise he is growing and changing DAILY but I got a BIG shock this morn as the tissue between several rays has receeded a good 2mm, rays seem intact. He is very lively, water ok but did a 50% change and added half cap of paraguard. He has Sera Fishtamin added to water 2/3 a week anyway but will add daily again now and his diet is a varied one befitting a spoilt betta!

The tissue looks healthy, it's odd. He was such a tiny little squirt when I bought him as a 'girl' and the change each day is incredible.

I've tried to get pics but 'zippy' is not playing ball! I wondered,as I only ever see veiltails in the flesh and have NO experience of owning other types if he may still be developing, if that is possible what could he POSSIBLY change to and what should I look out for? I'm 15 months down my tropical fishkeeping line and with this I am intrigued. I realise that it maybe finrot but i'd not call it that at the moment. I am used to finrot ( sadly)

Thoughts?

BTW, 3 times last night I saw a dark, human shaped form walk from doors to half way up the ward!!! My collegue mentioned the same thing too ( hospital wards for those who don't know i'm a nurse!). You see so many figures at night, sleepy mind tricks? spirits?

capekate
HI Taz
its hard to believe that in that short a time he developed fin rot to the point you mentioned. Are you sure he didnt tear his fins on anything?

Those dark spirits.... hmmm..... interesting! The fact that you and others saw it three times tells me its not an over active imagination. I would wonder if someone passed on that ward at some point recently?

~ kate

Tazmiche
HI Kate, they don't look like torn bits, all his finnage is edged in a faint dark edge and that isn't broken. He has had the same ornaments in his tank since day one, about a month ago,no change at all apart from me not being here during the night. I wonder if he flared too much? I have a LARGE bedroom and yes I know it is odd but my two house rabbits have their house here too ( I built it to look like normal furniture/???) They play and throw toys around at dawn, maybe he flared at the noise with me not here.
????

oh and re spirits, sadly death happens too often in hospital on wards. I wish we could change it but that is how life is!! Trust me where I work we really try to save everyone! I was on a floor of elderly wards last night. Sadly deaths happen day to day.

I often see things on night shifts but never normally say anything.

COBettaCouple
Do you have a pic of his fins that you could post?

0morrokh
Have you tried doing anything to get him to hold still while taking a pic? Food maybe, or a mirror to flare at? Or hold your finger or an object next to the side of the tank?

oh and re spirits, sadly death happens too often in hospital on wards. I wish we could change it but that is how life is!! Trust me where I work we really try to save everyone! I was on a floor of elderly wards last night. Sadly deaths happen day to day.

That's crazy! What kind of things do you see?
I don't think I could ever have your job...for whatever reason dead things just creep me out. Idk why, for example I am totally cool with live bugs (I'm the one my mum calls when there's a spider in the house) but I hate seeing like a shrivelled dead spider. I've seen a dead horse and that was bad enough, I don't think I could stand seeing a dead person.....

Drea
I don't think I could stand seeing a dead person.....

It's not as bad as you might imagine, my sis died in my arms, and it was very calm and not scary (I didn't want to be there when it happened) now I'm ok with it Leave it to a big sis, to teach little sis

capekate
It's not as bad as you might imagine, my sis died in my arms, and it was very calm and not scary (I didn't want to be there when it happened) now I'm ok with it Leave it to a big sis, to teach little sis

Hello Drea, How very sad, I'm so sorry for your loss. That must have been so hard. But what comfort your sister must have had, to be in your arms at the time of her passing. When death is knocking at my door I hope that I will be lucky enough to be in the arms of a loved one and not alone.

~ kate

Hello Taz
Tho I am not a nurse, but a nurses aide and worked at one time in a skilled nursing facility for the elderly. I too saw many a death. I was amazed at the peace the elderly find at that time and were not scared at all to pass over. They remained strong in their faith and I guess that helps.
Who knows what or who you saw in those dark shadows. Energy remains behind for awhile... and we just do not know all there is about the 'great beyond' to really understand why at times some peoples energy stay behind and some leave at the time of their deaths.
All I know is that for those elderly that I worked with, my intentions were to give them the best care possible at the time of their end.

~ kate

voiceless_kat
Michelle, sorry to hear that Kismet's tail is looked strange. The only thing I have seen happen that fast is finrot, and when it just looked like a little tear. Hopefully that is not what it is, and you will know as you watch him day to day.

Seeing ghosts??? LOL, well I agree with Kate, the energy is behind a while after, and for both of yu to see it, must have been for sure. Or maybe it was a ghost who was visiting someone else, and got caught leaving.

No, I haven't had anything to drink yet.........

Keep us posted on both, would love to see a pic of Kis too!

Val

Tazmiche
two pics of him. Ok not horrendous but from full to this in 11 hours.

0morrokh
Are you treating with any meds? That's definitely finrot, may have started out with a tear but it's infected now. Hope he recovers quickly.

Tazmiche
yeah seachem paraguard. Other meds available in uk are too harsh for bettas I find. Can't get maracyn over here and $92 postage to here from DrF!! Spot and Flame both healed with paraguard as have guppies so I added it as I mentioned in first post after 50% water change and extra vitamins as soon as I got home and saw the change.

As I said in the first post, he changes daily in a BIG way. If you see in this pic 4 weeks ago he had a slit appear in his 'tummy' fin that split through over night a week or so later and has grown out , 1mm left to grow. He looks so tiny in that pic BUT he had grown so much in the 4 weeks I had owned him. His finnage has trebled in 4 weeks. He was so tiny I couldn't see the pupils in his eyes 4 weeks ago and he DID look like a female, short finnage etc He is an incredible fish!! Now I see those eyes shifting about. Love him!

sadly it is fin rot. He has a hole in his tail this morning. Found Sky has a hole in his tail too today!!!!!!!!! a big one. I'm going to buy 2 new tanks today, I wonder if the 5 gallon ones they are in that housed others are causing problems. They were well cleaned but I feel a fresh start is needed!

bought them.18ltr to 28 ltr!!!!!

COBettaCouple
We use Rid-Fungus and TriSulfa for treating finrot.

Interpet #8 AntI Fungus & Finrot - may be the best UK equivalent of those 2 meds.

voiceless_kat
bought them.18ltr to 28 ltr!!!!!

Pics please of the happy boys, girlfiriend!!! Valamina:;sman

armadillo
I think you're a big person for not letting that freak you out. I am totally afraid of dead bodies. I have lost someone in quite traumatic circumstances, and half the grief was spent dealing with the horror aspect of it all. I really admire people who don't let themselves be freaked out. My mom's like that too. Very matter of factly about it.

Tazmiche
LA I am sorry to hear you have lost someone in an bad way!!! Let's not dwell on death though. I will never get used to losing a patient but I try to support the family and respect the passed person as much as I can.The main thing is that you once the spark of life has gone you still treat the deceased with love and tenderness they received whilst with us. When I see 'spirits' I feel better. I'm not religious but I do believe that the spark that animates our bodies lives on.

Dave I forgot that I had some of that INTERPET #8 in the cupboard. I have started Sky on it and will do a big water change tomo on Kiz as he has paraguard in at the moment. I haven't added anything to his today except Fishtamin. Sky looks worse than Kizmet at the moment. Fingers crossed hey!! Thanks for the memory jog! Pic of his new home and a pic when he just woke up!!

voiceless_kat
I am thinking he is a happy camper!!!! Great new tank.....looking good, Michelle!

Tazmiche
Thank you x

COBettaCouple
They look like they're in good hands and I hope they'll be on the mend soon.
Dave I forgot that I had some of that INTERPET #8 in the cupboard. I have started Sky on it and will do a big water change tomo on Kiz as he has paraguard in at the moment. I haven't added anything to his today except Fishtamin. Sky looks worse than Kizmet at the moment. Fingers crossed hey!! Thanks for the memory jog! Pic of his new home and a pic when he just woke up!!

Tazmiche
Sky was very quiet when I saw him during the night which is ok but still very quiet this morn, clamped fins, hanging at the top of tank. Not a happy bunny, tested water and bad results. OK before the fin rot stuff. So 2 water changes today, 50% and 25% later. At the mo sky is swimming around exploring his new castle type thing.

poop blaaahhhhhhhh, for some reason as i'm about to turn tank light off in Kizmets tank the filter stopped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE MY FISHIES, LOVE MY PETS AND WOULD NOT BE WITHOUT THEM!! but why do things pack up when I need an early night!!!???? I've unplugged filter and added an air pump til I get back from work tomo!! As if his fin rot was not enough!!:;kmg

voiceless_kat
poop blaaahhhhhhhh, for some reason as i'm about to turn tank light off in Kizmets tank the filter stopped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE MY FISHIES, LOVE MY PETS AND WOULD NOT BE WITHOUT THEM!! but why do things pack up when I need an early night!!!???? I've unplugged filter and added an air pump til I get back from work tomo!! As if his fin rot was not enough!!:;kmg

Patience, Grasshopper....................it always is that way for sure!! I think it is the betta arrogance and all that goes with it. They can will the filter to screw up, just to see how much you love them. Good thing you love them lots!!

Hope all is well, keep us posted.

Val

COBettaCouple
How are things today? Did you get a new filter put in?

Tazmiche
This is a new filter!!! came with the tank!!!! I'm gonna try to sort it now and if I can't get it working I'll get on to the LFS.

Allie
Jasper my betta has been doing much better with his fin rot issue since I took off the filter. He is in a 10 gallon divided with my female. I do water changes every 2-3 days, add fish protector everyday and he is healing up well. *knocks wood*
I hope your fishies are well soon.

Tazmiche
Filter back on, a stone was in it.

OK here a NEW question!!!!! Kiz is very lively and active has flared at the mirror BUT his tail seems to be 'glued' into a point as are his fins so I only got the full beard as a flare. I'll add a pic. He is full colour and not acting like a sick fish. I wondered if the API Stress coat I added may have made them sticky as that is how they look. However that was 2 days ago and i've changed the water twice since. I thought Sky's looked that way yesterday but he seems better today but HE did look off. Ideas?

COBettaCouple
Well, I know with our Bettas we often get just the flaring gill and not the fins.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
Gumbo
Replies
Views
Teamashlynne
Replies
Views