Bettas Tail Almost Gone From Fin Biting

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by CreatureQueen, Apr 9, 2017.

1. CreatureQueen

CreatureQueen Valued Member Member

Hey guys, this is something ive been struggling with awhile now. My halfmoon used to have beautiful tails, but now they are nothing more then nubs. I assune its fron biting them, although ive never witnessed him do it myself.
    First thing i thought was tail rot, which im still not sure if he has or not. Ive treated him with salt a few times but dont want to overdose the salt. Still no sign of it getting better, and its been months. Im really stuck on what to do here.
    My amm. 0 nitrite 0 nitrate .5
    Temp 78.
    Heavily planted 5.5 gal.
    Running a sponge filter.
    Ill be honest im not home alot and this tank is the one that gets the least attention. It gets a 75 percent water change everyweek, but sometimes it goes without a change for a week and a half. Since his fins are still not better ive been doing 75 percent changes 2 times a week.
    Im at my wits end here. Do i give up on him and try to rehome him? Is he gonna ever get better?
    Thanks

2. Reybetta

Reybetta Valued Member Member

Is there anything within the tank that could be sharp? You can try taking out some of the decor and seeing if that helps at all.

3. Neptune334

Neptune334 Valued Member Member

Fin biting usually occurs in large-finned bettas such as halfmoons, double tails, and rose tails. It is a lot of tail weighing the fish down, so it can stress and tire them out. Sometimes they decide to lighten the load, and start the tail biting. Some people say that another cause for this is boredom. If your tank only has a few plants and ornaments, you may consider getting more. I find that the best thing for healing fins is light to of clean water. Can you post a picture of his fins? This way we can identify if this is fin rot, fin biting, fin ripping, or a combination of several.

4. OP
    OP
    CreatureQueen

He has plenty of plants and i interact with him as muchas i can, hes very active and always swimming. His fins are jsut quite short. Before the ripped fins
    20170409_214019.jpg aftermath
    20170409_214247.jpg

5. bakpau

bakpau Valued Member Member

Did you add a new plant? Few months ago i put asian pennywort into the tank, the next day his bite his fins. I thought it was caused by something else so i removed all decorations & that asian pennywort. Yesterday i put another asian pennywort, thinking it would be a nice plant and noticed the fin biting again the next day. Idk why maybe they become itchy or something.

6. Neptune334

It doesn't look like tail biting to me. Is there anything at all in his tank that could be ripping his fins? Plastic plants, sharp ornaments, or even filters can rip a betta's fins. I thought my betta had fin rot or was biting his fins, but it turns out that he was just tearing them on the filter intake tube.

7. OP
    OP
    CreatureQueen

No, i dont think so. Its live plants. Anubias, java fern. The only thing i can think of is theres an african dwarf frog with him, but ove never seen them im close proximity
    His fliter os a sponge amd theres nothimg else sharp, except maybe the drift wood but its not jagged at all

8. Neptune334

Since we know for sure that it is not tail ripping, that leaves us with fin biting and fin rot. You could try rearranging the decorations and seeing if that helps him improve. If that doesn't work, then I would recommend trying a medicine to help against fin rot. Good medicines include Jungle Fungus Clear Tabs and API's Furan 2. Be sure to continue with frequent water changes, as that is one of the best medicines against most diseases.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice