Bettas Shred Fins On Fake Plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePsion

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Once again I decided to take a fake plant and put it in with one of my bettas. This is a gorgeous blue-green butterfly betta who had perfect finnage. It has been a couple days and today I looked in and noticed a small chunk taken out the top of his caudal fin.

I can't say I am surprised but at the same time it makes me irritated that I listened to some opinions and put the plant in there.

Has anyone ever successfully kept a non-veiltail betta with fake plants and not had a shredded fish?

I am starting to believe that bettas should only be kept with live plants.

Hill Dweller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have bunches of ambulia that my Betta snuggles in, and an anubias on a driftwood. Then I have 2 "silk" plants (I'm sure they're not actual silk haha) which are just to fill out the space while I get things established and help baffle the output of my filter. He doesn't spend much time around them except to lie on the sand under their shade.

Live plants are worth the extra work, I reckon :)

Hope your Betta heals up quickly!

CaptByMoonlight

Reaction score
Dang sorry that happened to your boy, I've only kept my betta with live plants (and have had no fin rearing issues). If you are looking for nice beginner plants Anubis are great and hard to kill!

Neptune334

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a doubletail betta with fake plants and he seems to do okay. At one point his fins were getting shredded but I figured out that it was from his filter, not the plants. He has two large silk plants and a smaller one. Two of the plants came with little green pieces of plastic at the bottom, but I cut them of to protect his fins. I think that it is possible to keep betta fish with silk plants if you are careful to inspect them and get rid of any sharp, plastic parts.

BluePsion

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thank you for all the replies.. I'm going to get a small potted aquarium plant and see how they like that....

Cycerath

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
live plants are a bit of work. personally i'm holding off till i feel more comfortable about them. i use both silk and plastic plants. it depends on the plastic plants, some are rounder and aren't a problem. some of the more pointy ones can be trimmed so they don't pose a threat to the fins. i recommend marina naturals for silk plants. a test you can do is use some pantyhose or something similar to drag the plant across to see if it snags. if it does then it'll probably hurt the betta, if not then it should be fine.

AngelTheGypsy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I haven't found live plants to be too difficult if you stick with the easy ones. Matter of fact the biggest issue I have is they grow so much!

Many like Anubias and java fern, and I have and like both. Stem plants like water wisteria and bacopa are easy as well, and amazon swords can grow like crazy. Crypts are another easy choice.

At first I was a little worried about live plants, but I actually enjoy watching the growth and experimenting with what will work.

I also have a betta tank with all fake plants. He's my son's fish and I don't mess with the tank much, so I don't want to mess with plants in that one. And that bettas doing fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 42 63.6%

Top Bottom