Bettas Ripped Fins, Pls Help!!!!

tperetti
I have a male betta in a 1 gallon tank with a moss ball, leaf hammock, and a non-sharp plastic tall plant he sits in. He's always been very energetic and happy, always flares at me when he sees me and gobbles his food. For a month now ive been battling his ripped fin issue. I treated with BettaFix which fights bacterial infections and heals skin and fins. He got better for a bit and now he's worse than every. His water is good, I changed it recently to try to get rid of any bacteria causing issues and brought a sample to the pet store to get checked. His fins get worse by the day but appetite and energy are still amazing. I don't think its fin rot.. What can I do to help? I begain treating him with bettafix last tuesday to give him a hand in healing

His tanks also has a filter, I added the leaf hammock as something new for him to sit on because I thought he may be getting bored. I have never had this problem with the fins in the past and they are not white at the ends or bloody at all

Advertisement
david1978
First thing throw out the bettafix. Its just watered down metafix. Do you have a good pic of his tail? Is the tank heated if so what temp?

Advertisement
Betta Obsessed
Post a pic, it would help to identify if it is finrot or not.

A 2.5 gallon is the MINIMUM size for a betta! I highly recommend you to get him a bigger tank. I always recommend 5 gallons, but at least a 2.5 would do.
Does he have a heater?
What's the temp in the tank?

Fashooga
Water quality will help it heal. A one gallon water quality will go bad quickly almost daily due to the size. The larger the tank the better water quality usually.

You may need to do frequent water changes to attain prestige water conditions. Once he’s all healed up I would go get a bigger tank.

WTFish?
I have this same problem that doesn’t seem to be getting better. People suggested maybe he was fin biting since it didn’t look like rot. I still don’t know. I gave him 3 salt baths a week apart, each time he seemed “happier?” But still no regrowth. I’ve changed decor for boredom, hob filter switched to a sponge in case it was sucking at his fins etc. Still no change. So basically I’m here to see what advice you get.

Also, my tank is 3 gallon, wc once a week, for a couple months I was doing every other day, didn’t help so back to regular routine.

Betta Obsessed
Yes, in one gallon you need to do very frequent water changes, which usually stress the bettas out. In a bigger tank, you should do water changes once a week with a vacuum/siphon.

Advertisement
tperetti
First thing throw out the bettafix. Its just watered down metafix. Do you have a good pic of his tail? Is the tank heated if so what temp?
hes feisty so this is the best I could do
his fins are getting worse daily and the tank is not heated, it is quite warm because of how warm the room is. I turned off his light that keeps it warmer because I thought he was getting stressed from seeing his reflection in the tank walls

Attachments

• F08C92D0-C9C5-4F32-89AB-EDAEDE3E33C3.jpeg
    F08C92D0-C9C5-4F32-89AB-EDAEDE3E33C3.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 73
david1978
I have to agree on the 5 gallon minimum. Not only for swimming area but water quality stays so much more consistent. Water temp should be 78-80 degrees. Top fin looks like tail biting. Bottom fin looks like fin rot.

tperetti
I have to agree on the 5 gallon minimum. Not only for swimming area but water quality stays so much more consistent.
I just don't have the room. I live in a dorm with two other roommates and before him I had smaller tanks with no filter and my betta lived for 2 years (I got him full grown) with no infection or issue. I've had him for 6 months before this started as well

david1978
The average life expectancy for a betta is 5-7 years.

Advertisement
tperetti
Post a pic, it would help to identify if it is finrot or not.

A 2.5 gallon is the MINIMUM size for a betta! I highly recommend you to get him a bigger tank. I always recommend 5 gallons, but at least a 2.5 would do.
Does he have a heater?
What's the temp in the tank?
at the pet store they said minimun was 0.5 and that he'd be quite happy in the one gallon. He is very happy its just his fins that are the issue.

david1978
And fin rot comes from poor water conditions.

tperetti
at the pet store they said minimun was 0.5 and that he'd be quite happy in the one gallon. He is very happy its just his fins that are the issue.
I posted a picture to someone else, its bad quality because he moves so much lol. Did you see it??

Kysarkel000
It kind of looks like fin rot on the ends of his tail. Maybe the large split is apart of that. I'd suggest doing daily water changes and get him a bigger tank ASAP. The only thing that should go in a 1 gallon tank is a plant and maybe a shrimp or some micro crabs.

With daily water changes, your water will be nice and clean (unless there is ammonia/nitrite/nitrate in your tap water!!) And the tail should start to heal really quick.

Advertisement

tperetti
And fin rot comes from poor water conditions.
I don't think it is fin rot tho? that's why I'm confused and treatment for it is not working

SplendidBettas
The pet store saying that does not make it right. They need to keep their business open somehow, and if selling fish to unsuspecting customers can do it, that's what will happen. Bettas truly show their best color and personality when kept in a suitable home.

david1978
The top fin how its nicely cut looks like tail biting. The little patch on the bottom looks like fin rot buts it not really that clear.

tperetti
The pet store saying that does not make it right. They need to keep their business open somehow, and if selling fish to unsuspecting customers can do it, that's what will happen. Bettas truly show their best color and personality when kept in a suitable home.
OK well I don't have the resources to do that right now, was just looking for ways to help him survive through this.

Advertisement

Betta Obsessed
Yes, always double check what pet stores tell you! Most of them are not experienced with fish and just cause they sell them, it doesn't mean they care about them and won't lie to you!

And tail biting comes from stress.

As for resources, we are a good resource, and you can google it.

tperetti
As for resources, we are a good resource, and you can google it.
I have goggled it many many times, been to multiple pet stores AND aquarium specific stores, and that is why I joined here to ask about it as well since I received multiple conflicting answers. I just don't have the resources to upgrade tanks right now.

Betta Obsessed
Ahh.. Okay. But do upgrade the tank as soon as possible! If it is tail biting, then it is because of stress (most likely) and that can be fixed by giving him a bigger tank.

tperetti
so I shouldnt keep giving the bettafix? it won't help?

david1978
The best medicine is clean water. You may have to do daily water changes to get him to heal.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bubs
Replies
Views
Prasiolite
Replies
Views
AleksTheFish
Replies
Views