Betta’s Proper Nutrition

kiaraglydell

Hi!

I am curious about betta’s proper nutrition. I called Petco and asked how much I’m supposed to feed my betta, and they said they feed him every other day, so that’s what I’ve been doing. I feed him 3 pellets every other day, and 2-3 freeze dried bloodworms once a week. However, I saw a post about how they are supposed to be fed twice on a daily. So now i’m confused, what is the proper nutrition for bettas??

thatfishlover122

kiaraglydell said:
Hi!

I am curious about betta’s proper nutrition. I called Petco and asked how much I’m supposed to feed my betta, and they said they feed him every other day, so that’s what I’ve been doing. I feed him 3 pellets every other day, and 2-3 freeze dried bloodworms once a week. However, I saw a post about how they are supposed to be fed twice on a daily. So now i’m confused, what is the proper nutrition for bettas??
I wouldn't say there is a 'proper nutrition'; we all have our own feeding schedules etc. For my male betta, i feed him 2-3 single bugbites in the morning when i turn his lights on. In the evening, i give him a decent size pinch of bug bites for his tea! i'd say 2-4 times a week he gets frozen food, like bloodworms and artemia or daphnia. I have a female betta that i keep with guppies, she gets some of the guppy pellets but i aim to feed her bug bites. She gets more frozen food than my male because i feed the guppy fry lots to help them grow bigger, so my female betta is chunkier! My male has a poor attention span, he'll eat a few bug bites and then swim off! I worry he's a little skinny sometimes tbh

OP
kiaraglydell

kiaraglydell

guppyandbettaowner said:
I wouldn't say there is a 'proper nutrition'; we all have our own feeding schedules etc. For my male betta, i feed him 2-3 single bugbites in the morning when i turn his lights on. In the evening, i give him a decent size pinch of bug bites for his tea! i'd say 2-4 times a week he gets frozen food, like bloodworms and artemia or daphnia. I have a female betta that i keep with guppies, she gets some of the guppy pellets but i aim to feed her bug bites. She gets more frozen food than my male because i feed the guppy fry lots to help them grow bigger, so my female betta is chunkier! My male has a poor attention span, he'll eat a few bug bites and then swim off! I worry he's a little skinny sometimes tbh

They’re cute!! Thanks for the advice, would you recommend changing my betta’s diet to daily feeds? Or continue with my regular feed (every other day) I don’t wanna underfeed him.

thatfishlover122

kiaraglydell said:
They’re cute!! Thanks for the advice, would you recommend changing my betta’s diet to daily feeds? Or continue with my regular feed (every other day) I don’t wanna underfeed him.
yeh, personally i feel better doing daily feeds and i’m sure you would too! sometimes if they’re too bloated etc or have had a big meal i wait a day before feeding again but yeh, daily feeding is good!

Chuelsman

Good question. Thanks for posting it. I've recently had the same one.

I've read about giving a betta a wide variety of food. I've been feeding my male betta twice daily, breakfast and dinner. Been only feeding betta pellets bought at fish stores. I've tried feeding him dried bloodworms a bunch of times, but he has no interest in them. Maybe I should try frozen?

Is it true that only feeding pellets isn't the best option. He's seemed fine for the couple years I've been caring for him.

thatfishlover122

Chuelsman said:
Good question. Thanks for posting it. I've recently had the same one.

I've read about giving a betta a wide variety of food. I've been feeding my male betta twice daily, breakfast and dinner. Been only feeding betta pellets bought at fish stores. I've tried feeding him dried bloodworms a bunch of times, but he has no interest in them. Maybe I should try frozen?

Is it true that only feeding pellets isn't the best option. He's seemed fine for the couple years I've been caring for him.
i much prefer frozen, it's less processed and my bettas love it. when i first got my female betta, she refused the pellets i gave her and only wanted bloodworms. I only fed her pellets for a few days and she soon realised that it was pellets or nothing and began to eat. I didn't feed her bloodworms again until a week or so because i didn't want to switch her back. Bettas are carnivores which is why i feed her bug bites as a staple diet, they have salmon oil and bugs and all that so they're a good, healthy option. They're quite expensive where i am, but they've lasted me 4 months and i've only used about 1/4-1/2! Feeding just pellets isnt the best but they will happily live! Feeding a variety allows brighter colouring, happier bettas, more energy and can prolong their lives a little more than if they are fed JUST pellets. They can eat a whole range of frozen foods :)

bwer2

Don’t listen to petco
Feed him twice everyday....if it’s good food there is no need to fast
What kind of pellets do you have? Some of them range differently in size

OP
kiaraglydell

kiaraglydell

bwer2 said:
Don’t listen to petco
Feed him twice everyday....if it’s good food there is no need to fast
What kind of pellets do you have? Some of them range differently in size
Noted. I’ve been using the Aqueon Color Enhancing Betta Food. Also, I read reviews that freeze dried bloodworms can kill bettas??

VeiltailKing

Well Known
I feed all of my tanks once daily, frozen foods once a week, and skip feeding on Sundays. All of my fish are quite chunky. For me, twice daily would be too much and affect my water quality. It just depends on you and your preferences/experiences!
09D12AA7-2FC7-49AD-AF39-81B70A586FC9.jpeg

3658D644-3E68-49EF-9AD8-11037E2A561B.jpeg
This girl is still growing so she’s allowed to be a bit chunkier :p

VeiltailKing

Well Known
kiaraglydell said:
Noted. I’ve been using the Aqueon Color Enhancing Betta Food. Also, I read reviews that freeze dried bloodworms can kill bettas??
Just make sure you soak them before feeding and you’ll be fine!

OP
kiaraglydell

kiaraglydell

VeiltailKing said:
I feed all of my tanks once daily, frozen foods once a week, and skip feeding on Sundays. All of my fish are quite chunky. For me, twice daily would be too much and affect my water quality. It just depends on you and your preferences/experiences!
09D12AA7-2FC7-49AD-AF39-81B70A586FC9.jpeg

3658D644-3E68-49EF-9AD8-11037E2A561B.jpeg
This girl is still growing so she’s allowed to be a bit chunkier :p
Aww they’re really cute! Thanks!

New Threads