Bettas Of Old Age

Adriifu

Hello. I’ve had Chaz for a few years now. He started off as my dad’s fish, but I was the one who took care of him. Several months ago, he gradually became duller, his fins were more prone to splits and tears, and he slept for most of the day. I can tell it’s old age. He’s never lost his appetite until now. I can see that he’s developing dropsy. I don’t know whether I should euthanize or let him die peacefully. He’s had a good life and I can just tell he isn’t going to come back from this one. He’s too old to be treated with medicine and I don’t want to put him under unnecessary stress. What do you guys think I should do? Euthanize or let him pass on his own? Thank you.

wem21

I reckon it's time when it's time. The right choice here I believe would be euthanisia.

All you need to do is scoop the fish into a small .5g bowl or something of the sort and continuously add 2.5ml of clove oil every 5 minutes until the fish passes out. Then add some more and wait 15mins, please do not flush your fish even if hes already dead. This form of euthanasia is basically the fishy equivalent of an overdose of sleeping meds.

Adriifu

I reckon it's time when it's time. The right choice here I believe would be euthanisia.

All you need to do is scoop the fish into a small .5g bowl or something of the sort and continuously add 2.5ml of clove oil every 5 minutes until the fish passes out. Then add some more and wait 15mins, please do not flush your fish even if hes already dead. This form of euthanasia is basically the fishy equivalent of an overdose of sleeping meds.
I only use clove oil when euthanizing. If he’s alive by the time I get home, I’ll decide whether to do it or not. Thank you.

Fanatic

I think it’s old age since you said it’s been a few years. Personally I don’t see a reason to euthanize a fish if it’s not struggling, but if he’s not eating or swimming, that’s a good indicator of euthanization.

Adriifu

I think it’s old age since you said it’s been a few years. Personally I don’t see a reason to euthanize a fish if it’s not struggling, but if he’s not eating or swimming, that’s a good indicator of euthanization.
For the past few days, he’s mostly been lying on his side and sleeping. Doesn’t seem to have much of an appetite either. I’m just glad he had a good life.

Fanatic

For the past few days, he’s mostly been lying on his side and sleeping. Doesn’t seem to have much of an appetite either. I’m just glad he had a good life.

I would definitely euthanize him then, I am sorry

Adriifu

I would definitely euthanize him then, I am sorry
It’s all right. I just got back home and he actually ate after fasting himself for a few days. He’s still pineconing, though, and he’ll occasionally have to just lie down on his side when swimming because (I’m assuming) he gets really tired. I’m a bit more conflicted than I was before because he’s suddenly eating now. I’m leaning towards euthanasia. Should I give him a few more days to see if he’ll be all right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 69

wem21

If he ate, then I would give him a few more days, see how it goes

Adriifu

If he ate, then I would give him a few more days, see how it goes
Okay, thanks.

Adriifu

I decided to euthanize him this morning. He could hardly move himself from the bottom of the tank. Rest In Peace, Chaz.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
emmysjj
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Lily00
Replies
Views