Bettas Kept In Cups At Pet Stores Question

1. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

sometimes when i'm looking at all the bettas in cups at pet stores i notice some greyish debris at the bottom of the cups. is this just poop or a sign of some illness (like scales falling off or fins rotting)? or maybe food debris? thanks!

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

It’s usually just fish waste. It could possibly be food if they got fed in the cups but most of them don’t get fed.

3. OP
    OP
    midna

they don't get fed???? D:

4. Gala

Gala Well Known Member Member

Well they have to get fed at some point. Maybe not often or enough, but at Walmart usually they overfeed.

5. BringKermitBack

BringKermitBack Well Known Member Member

Yep, because some uglier bettas wouldn't get sold for a few weeks

6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Animal welfare at its max !

7. OP
    OP
    midna

so does everyone agree that it's just poop, not a sign of illness?

8. Nightshadethebetta

Nightshadethebetta Valued Member Member

I’m sure a lot of them sadly sit there in those cups with uneaten food and poop at the bottom. I was looking at Bettas at PetSmart the other day, and some of the fish were in green water! :eek: It was really sad to see. I wish I could rescue them all.

9. Gala

The dirt on the bottom? Yeah that's probably just food or poop.

10. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Depends what fish store, my petsmarts are good with cleaning. But walmarts (in usa not canada we dont have fish up here) always have these dirty bottom cups.

11. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

12. motherofbettas

motherofbettas Valued Member Member

I agree I prefer the Petsmarts in my area over Petco every single time. I have talked with employees at both store and you can tell the Petsmart employees are much better educated and genuinely care about and get to know each fish. I usually go in and ask for the oldest fish or which one seems to be struggling, or any lowkey ones and I always get great information about them.
    Petco on the other hand has dirty water, and Bettas that are constantly in bad health.

13. Gala

It's funny because it's the exact opposite for me. Petco is way better when it comes to healthy animals. They even have barriers between each cup so the fish can't see each other. I buy almost everything from Petco, only meds or certain dry goods from Petsmart.

14. wodesorel

wodesorel Well Known Member Member

Junk on the bottom may be preferrable - most places change the water by pouring the fish into a net, emptying the cup completely, and then refilling from the wall of tanks. Pouring off some water and replacing is much healthier in the long run, but it leaves the debris behind.

Same reason why I prefer to buy bettas in the blue water, it means they haven't yet been exposed to whatever nasties are in the wall of tanks water!

15. OP
    OP
    midna

i haven't seen bettas in blue water in a long time.

thanks everyone! i'm not getting a betta for a while but i keep looking at all the bettas anyway