Betta's food prob!

BiG BeTtA

Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking about my Betta's food. On other websites I've heard that pellets contain ash with is indigestible and somehow bad. And Freeze dried Bloodworms make Betta's have constipation. Is it true? And coincidentally I have these very foods. I've also heard that they are healthy with all the protein, fiber and vitamins and stuff like that. So I really can't put together what. Should I make more varieties of food ??? ? Or should I just continue feeding my fish this ??? ? Or is there a better Betta food ??? ?

Thanks

The Fishy Dude :-X

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd answer your post but I can't read it. You should use a regular font. Those colors are extremely painful to read.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BiG BeTtA said:
Hi, I was thinking about my Betta's food. On other websites I've heard that pellets contain ash with is indigestible and somehow bad. And Freeze dried Bloodworms make Betta's have constipation. Is it true? And coincidentally I have these very foods. I've also heard that they are healthy with all the protein, fiber and vitamins and stuff like that. So I really can't put together what. Should I make more varieties of food ??? ? Or should I just continue feeding my fish this ??? ? Or is there a better Betta food ??? ?
The betta pellets are fine and bloodworms are good 2-3 times a week. Bettas also like a half of a frozen pea, thawed and minced - that helps counteract constipation troubles that could pop up from freeze-dried foods.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I feed RJ the Hikari pellets everyday and I'llfeed him freeze dried blood worms also. As far as the worms go I think it's more of an opinion thing. I think whether you fed them freeze dried or regular frozen they can become constipated either way only because it's so rich in protein. I usually soak my freeze dried worms in water for about 5 min to let them soften up and then I'll feed them to him. He seems to like them better like that. I also do that with the pellets.It helps to prevent constipation by doing that. I feed him the worms every other day for 1 meal only not both. I also will give him peas usually the day after I feed the worms to prevent constipation. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My guys get plain unadulterated freeze-dried Hikari bloodworms and Ocean Nutrition Atison's Betta Pro (very tiny) pellets to eat all the time and do very well as long as the amount of food is strictly limited and the pea treats are given or freeze dried Daphnia is given to the ones who will not touch peas at least three times a week. I do not soak the food as I really am strict with the amount of foods they get according to their size and the foods they are eating.. I also do not believe in fasting bettas one day a week. They also get vitamins in their water at least every other day unless they are being medicated and then it is every day.

Rose

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
We give our bettas (other than finnicky Sora) vitamin pellets for Bettas in the mornings, then for their PM feeding, they get a different thing each night.. different kinds of pellets, flakes, bloodworms, peas, daphnia.

miamiaquariums

Reaction score
I will really recommend the number one Betta food in the marke today. Atison's Betta foor and/or Betta Pro. They are small pellets easy to digest and consist of a complete diet for you betta,and they don't sink so your betta eats all of them. Atison is a #1 Betta Breeder in Thailand. You can find them on Ebay. We have a store and speciallize in bettas and that is what we use to feed our bettas. It is excellent.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
They also get vitamins in their water at least every other day unless they are being medicated and then it is every day.

Rose
Rose, do you use Vita Chem? I bought that at your suggestion and have been soaking bloodworms in it a couple of times a week - Neptune loves this- and putting 12 drops into the tank once a week? You say you add them every day? Is that better?? Val

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Where do you find Vita Chem?

BiG BeTtA

Reaction score
Phloxface said:
I'd answer your post but I can't read it. You should use a regular font. Those colors are extremely painful to read.
Sorry, I didn't know.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
FLBettaCouple said:
Where do you find Vita Chem?
I got mine from Foster&Smith when I had to order up a ton of medications since I have no source at home. Very easy to dose also since it is liquid - 2 drops per gallon.It cost $6.29.......I would look locally first to avoid paying shipping......well for $10 shipping for me, I try to order more than one thing. Interesting I see F&S also have a nitrifying bacteria called Nitromax Fresh which is supposed to "quickly cycle aquariums and boosts post water change biological filters"............should look into that one also..sounds like Bio Spira & ZymBac , cost $13.99 no refrigeration................Although prob not same or someone else would have mentioned it!! Val

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
voiceless_kat said:
I got mine from Foster&Smith when I had to order up a ton of medications since I have no source at home. Very easy to dose also since it is liquid - 2 drops per gallon.It cost $6.29.......I would look locally first to avoid paying shipping......well for $10 shipping for me, I try to order more than one thing. Interesting I see F&S also have a nitrifying bacteria called Nitromax Fresh which is supposed to "quickly cycle aquariums and boosts post water change biological filters"............should look into that one also..sounds like Bio Spira & ZymBac , cost $13.99 no refrigeration................Although prob not same or someone else would have mentioned it!! Val
Thanks.. I'll have to add that to the long list for our DFS order.. that list is getting long.. think it's time to go take out a loan so i can put it in. I wonder about that Nitromax Fresh, but still want to see how Zymbac does too.. BioSpira is great but if there was another product that worked, even if it were slower, that'd be great since i can't afford $40 a pouch.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom