Betta's Fins Shredded And Upgrading Tank

ShadowShark

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This morning, when I went to feed my betta, his fins were torn very badly. I don't know what could have ripped them like this. Nothing in his tank is sharp, all he had in it is an anubias, moss ball, and betta bed. The betta bed is the only thing i think could've ripped them, but not shredded them. I guess the filter could have, but I've never seen him go by the intake part of it. Almost all of his fins are ripped. He almost looks like a crowntail, but he's a veiltail

How do i get him better? Should i order some catappa leaves? I've heard those are good for fin regrowth, or should i get a commercial medicine? If so, which one?

Also, I've been saving some money to buy him a bigger tank and I have a few questions about that.

Will i have to cycle the new tank?

Can I change the substrate? Currently there is white gravel in the tank and i'm not liking it that much, I think I would like sand better, but would replacing it mess up the cycle?

Will a 20 watt heater heat a 5 gallon? I have a 2 gallon and the 20 watt heats it very well. Will it heat a 5 gal or will i have to get a new one? The room temperature varies between 70F and 77F

Is it better to get a kit? Like the 5 gallon tank you can get from walmart with the lid and light? Or is it better to buy things seperate?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would recommend daily water changes, that's what has worked for me
If you have a cycle on this tank, just bring your current media to the new filter, and instant cycle!
Yes, you can change the substrate if you want

I think a 20 watt would work, but if it gets cold during the winter, then a 50 watt will work better.
No, get everything separately. Kits usually include supplies that aren't very durable, and most of it you'll end up replacing.

Wystearya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't use the salt just yet.

Fuzzy is likely fungus. Lets hope it's not columnaris, as that can be quick moving and hard to treat.

Keep the water very clean, like Fanatic said do daily water changes. Pristine water can help heal the fins quickly.

ShadowShark

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The parts of his fins that were shredded most badly seem to have fallen off. And the tips of his other fins are black, and no longer fuzzy-like, just ragged.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom