Betta's fins getting worse

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by amber0107, Dec 21, 2012.

1. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

A couple of weeks back I noticed my betta's fins looked like it had ripped. Usually in situations like this, I don't treat it with anything, I just do more frequent water changes and keep it really clean. So, that's what I did. I also started soaking the NLS pellets with vitachem.

However, it's not improving and seems to be getting worse. It's spreading and I honestly can't figure out what's going on. The water is perfect, 0, 0, 5. I've increased the temp up to 81-82. There isnt' anything in there that can be damaging it. It seems like his condition is going from bad to worse.

FYI: He's in a 5 gallon cycled tank by himself.

What should I do now? I'm having difficulty uploading pictures, so I'm sorry if this one isn't the best.

001.jpg

2. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

How old is your betta? What kit do you use to test? Is the tank filtered? and have you considered upgrading him to a 10gal?

3. OP
    OP
    amber0107

I bought him in February, so he's probably about a year old. I use the API kit and yes, the tank is filtered. No, I don't plan to upgrade him to a 10 until I have more room.

4. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

Ok, well... I'm officially stumped! :/

Hope someone comes along soon with some better insight on what could be going on... He isn't old, you're using an Api, your readings look fine and you're doing frequent water changes... It seems to me like you're doing the best thing you possibly could, if it's fin rot or tearing, it should be getting better.

Anyone?

5. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

He has fin rot. His fins look exactly like Frostys did (A plat white HM). When you see the pink at the edges where there is not supposed to be, that is fin rot. I would suggest using an antibiotic of some sort. I used a mix of Maracyn Oxy and API Triple Sulfa for Frosty and it seems to have really helped. No more damage and the pink has went away. His behavior has also gotten much more happy. Gl!

6. shellieca

shellieca Valued Member Member

What kind of filter intake do you have? I've put sponge into the intake arms of the filters for my males tanks because their fins would get sucked in. Personally I'm not seeing fin rot, to me it looks like ripping due to something. Have you ever seen him nip his own fins? That happens sometimes because of stress or boredome. You might re-arrange his tank so it's like a new environment & see if that helps just in case he is nipping. You're pretty much doing everything I would suggest so I don't have anything else to offer you. Sorry.

7. OP
    OP
    amber0107

I'll change some more water today and rearrange the decor some and put a sponge over the intake although he's never had any issue with that intake before. Last time I moved stuff around he kinda freaked out and hid for a few days, so I haven't done that recently. I'll also pull out the driftwood and search it to see if it's degraded somehow and is snaggin his fins. I hate using meds unless absolutely necessary, but it looks like its coming to that.

8. tunastrack

EVen if it started from an injury from the filter or whatever, the fact that he has the pink edges is fin rot. So he most likely will need medication since the other stff hasnt worked.

9. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Fin rot can kill a fish over a period of time, if not treated properly with medication. I do believe that in some instances medicating naturally can be beneficial, but in the scenario of fin rot, medication is the best source of a successful resolution. :)

10. shellieca

I completely disagree with having to medicate for fin rot. I have successfully treated fin rot without meds & most experienced aquarist I talk to do not use meds for fin rot. Rarely will it not go away with clean, conditioned, temp match water from regular water changes. IF for odd reason it refuses to heal & is leaning towards an infection then I would use meds but ONLY after every other option has been exhausted.

11. tunastrack

Thats true in some instances shellieca, but if you read her post above, she has already tried those methods and been unsuccessful. If they are not working, then prolonging not medicating can lead to a threat to the fishes life. We have had a mix of forum members who have experienced both situations. And in a couple of those, when they waited too long to decide to medicate, the fish died.

And it would make sense to me that if the fin rot began from an injury that the type of rot would be bacterial. SOmething only antibiotics can cure in most cases. I think that is the difference.

12. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Shellieca - I respectfully disagree with you to a point. Fin Rot can turn into a serious or fatal situation for a fish. The medication is quick acting unlike treating the fish naturally. On the flip side, I'd agree with you if it were cases of ICH, etc.

13. OP
    OP
    amber0107

I had Maracyn on hand, so I've started dosing that after a 50% water change today. We'll see if this helps, if not I also have some Maracyn 2 that I can do simulatneously, if I remember correctly.

Thankfully I remembered to remove my beautiful nerite before treating. Now I'm acclimating it to my 20 gallon tank. It will be good for it in the long run since the ph is higher in there and it will help its shell which is beautifully patterned.

14. shellieca

No problem on disagreeing. We give our experiences & opinions & its up to the fishkeeper to choose an action plan.

15. OP
    OP
    amber0107

Update: My betta's fins are not any better. I did a full 5 day treatment of Maracyn with no improvement, so I gave it a break and did a big water change and am looking at other treamtent options. Any advice?

16. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Will I don't think fin rot will cure it self in 5 days. It's like when you go to a barber shop and they accidentally shave your hair off it take weeks for it to grow back.

Maybe it got better but your so used to seeing it that it's still looks bad.

That's what I'm hoping at least!

17. OP
    OP
    amber0107

It still has red tips, so I don't think it's improving. Maybe a combination of marcyn and maracyn 2 would work better this time.

18. OP
    OP
    amber0107

Update: Betta is looking much worse. The side of its body is looking oddly puckered and the area where the fins are missing is looking kinda fuzzy and the fins next to it look hardened. I have no idea what's going on. I'll probably head up to Petsmart later and look at different medications to try.

032.jpg

19. OP
    OP
    amber0107

Found my betta dead this morning. I knew it was getting worse. It had developed a fungal infection at the sight of its wounded area and it kept spreading despite using Maroxy.

Question is: Do I disinfect this tank? It's planted with driftwood and gravel substrate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice