Betta's Fins Fraying & Weird Stuff Going On In Tank!

madelyn anne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!

I'm a fishy mum to a sweet little male Betta named Ferguson. I've had him about a month now.
He's in a 5 G Fluval Spec V tank. Temp is set at 78 F.

Today, I noticed some fraying on his pretty fins. I'm also noticing A LOT of bio-film stuff in the tank. A lot. Also, a lot of brown algae/diatoms.

I am considering changing tanks for him because on the Fluval Spec V, it comes with a built in sump that is NOT ideal for a Betta. The problem is that the output is far too strong for him, so I currently have some filter sponge stuffed inside the nozzle to diffuse the flow. The problem? If I do that, the filtration doesn't work properly, and the intake doesn't suck much (if anything) in it.

The parameters of the water are fine, so my concern is with the filtration. I have found a 6.6 G tank that seems to have a better filter option, so I'm considering switching to that.

Could the fraying of the fins be due to the bad filtration? What's going on? Should I also treat with something?

Any suggestions/input are appreciated

xx

Aegnis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A picture would be super helpful! Fraying fish can be caused by anything from a very active betta (mechanical damage) to bacterial infections (fin rot) to biting their own fins.

California L33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
madelyn anne said:
I am considering changing tanks for him because on the Fluval Spec V, it comes with a built in sump that is NOT ideal for a Betta. The problem is that the output is far too strong for him, so I currently have some filter sponge stuffed inside the nozzle to diffuse the flow. The problem? If I do that, the filtration doesn't work properly, and the intake doesn't suck much (if anything) in it.
You can adjust the flow by cutting the sponge, or changing it for filter floss, and adjusting the amount for the flow you want, though you don't need (want) much flow for a Betta. Remember, the purpose of that filter isn't to 'scrub the water clean,' but to provide a surface for bacteria to grow on to allow the Nitrogen Cycle to remove toxins. If your Ammonia and Nitrites are always at 0 then you don't need to change anything. No filter, not even the type that simulate streams or marine tidal zones, will keep a tank so clean you don't need to wipe the sides and vacuum the gravel occasionally.

Fizzfrog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fluval spec v's have adjustable filters - is yours on the lowest setting? You can adjust it on the side of the pump. The lowest setting still produces a noticeable flow, though, but some bettas are okay with it. Brown algae usually comes with newly established tanks. To help his fins heal, keep the water as clean as you can. If the fraying is minor I don't think medication or salt are necessary at this point, they should heal by themselves if the water conditions are good.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom