Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Betta's Fin Slightly Torn? Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by RyanC14, Apr 24, 2019.

1. RyanC14Valued MemberMember

Both of my bettas' fins seem to be slightly tearing or degrading at the ends. Parameters in both tanks are 0, 0, <5, 7.8-8 ph. One betta is by himself in a 5g and the other is in a 10g with neon tetras and ghost shrimp (could they be damaging his fins?). I do weekly 30-40% water changes in both tanks. There is nothing sharp in either tank that could be damaging their fins. Water temp is 78 F in both tanks. They both still act normal though. Heres a picture of the betta in the 10g

Attached Files:

2. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

What type of filter do you use? Hob filters and their intake tubes can damage long finned Bettas. Baffling and lowering the flow and using a pre-filter guard or sponge can help with tearing and shredding fins. I learned the hard way the first time around while owning a long finned betta. Once I baffled the outflow and used a sponge pre-filter, it stopped the issue.

3. RyanC14Valued MemberMember

I have hob filters. I put on intake sponges about a week ago and I added some melafix to heal the fins faster.

4. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

What about the outflow? Have you considered baffling that? Try the plastic bottle method and see if that will have any positive changes especially after the treatment is done.

I personally stopped using melafix/pimafix or anything else that contains oils. I dose less than half the recommended amount of aquarium salt whenever I see a bit of fin damage. It helps heal it in a couple of days. I also do more frequent water changes in these situations as clean and pristine water keeps infections at bay and promotes self healing without the use of meds (natural or not).

5. RyanC14Valued MemberMember

I also use the plastic bottle method lol. I'll use some aquarium salt. Thanks!

6. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Huh that’s strange. Your parameters seem fine, your filters are baffled... tetras and shrimp usually leave other fish alone especially if the tetras are schooled. Yeah try a tiny amount of aq salt... some people will advise against it but I’ve used it for years on all my Bettas with no issues. The key is to use the smallest amount then do a 50% water change on the 7th day after dosing it. Good luck and let me know if that works for you.