Betta's Face Looks Ghostly

bcsay720

I've been having some trouble with my betta the last couple weeks. He's had fin rot, which is being treated with water changes and low stress situations. Tried to quarantine him for a salt treatment, but he got depressed without the catfish and clamped up, so now he's back in the main tank. I'll use salt baths from now on if it comes back.

He's showing no signs of fin rot today (yay), and his behavior has been normal throughout. However, I just moved everyone to a 29 g for more space, and the tannins haven't fully settled into the tank and I got better lights, so it's much brighter than his old tank. This caused me to notice how awful his face looks. It looks like aging, but I just got him back in December. His scales aren't gone. They're just white. He's always had a paler face, but this just looks awful. Is this something I should be worried about?

Fisch

I am not following what you are referring to.
Bettas don't care for bright light, and mine "greys" a bit if he is stressed.
It sounds like there was some change for him. Warm water, tannins, lights out....he should get adjusted.

Upvote 0

bcsay720

Yeah that's why I'm darkening the water. Pushed the frogbit into one corner so he can lay under it to nap.

Thanks. I don't think I would have been so worried had he not had fin rot. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Upvote 0

Fisch

I understand, fin rot is a constant battle with these little guys. Vigilance in water change is the best solution. My Betta at times has a 'bad hairday', and it takes a couple of days to resolve again. It is a constant up and down, like real life.

Upvote 0

bcsay720

Yes, it started when he knocked one single scale off his head (which healed 2 days later). Then he got bored and bit his tail. He's too smart for his own good, which is the problem. Now that he's an adult, though, he loves watching and mimicking his tankmates for entertainment. Hopefully the new tank will keep him entertained for a while now.

Upvote 0

Fisch

29gl is a nice size tank, and I see lovely green surrounding him, he will have fun. Send a picture!!

Upvote 0

bcsay720

The frogbit, of course, drifted back by the filter. This tank is a bit taller than his last one, so the plants need to grow in a bit. He will be extra happy when I add to my cory school. They're his favorite.

Upvote 0

Fisch

Beautiful tank, he is a lucky little guy

Upvote 0

animalgirl257

The frogbit, of course, drifted back by the filter. This tank is a bit taller than his last one, so the plants need to grow in a bit. He will be extra happy when I add to my cory school. They're his favorite.
Wow! Your aquarium looks lovely! Your betta is really lucky

Upvote 0

Biiba

Love your tank! I personally think he looks ok, maybe just turn the lights off and give him chance to adjust to everything

Upvote 0

ButtercuptheOranda

your betta looks healthy and my old betta has a grey face

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
Replies
Views