Bettas Dying - Not Sure What Disease This Is

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by daveisfishin, Apr 16, 2017.

  1. daveisfishin

    daveisfishinNew MemberMember

    We've had a few bettas die one by one recently. See photos for visual symptoms. Not sure why this is happening. It starts with discoloration of the belly area, spreading to the rest of the body. Sometimes there is slight pineconing but not severe. Progresses to extreme fin rot just before death. Have tried treated with Maracyn and Kanaplex, in addition to epsom salt dips and methylene blue dips. (not all at once - different attempts with different occasions)

    Background:
    20 gallon wide tank / divided (3 bettas).
    2 Tetra Whisper 10-gallon filters. Activated carbon left intact.
    2 water changes per week - 5 gal. each - Sunday/Wednesday. Treat water w/ 2X dose Prime.
    Foods: variety (New Life Spectrum pellets, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp).
    Fed once per day - not overfed. Fasted on Sundays.
    Water temp: 81 deg. F stable.
    Water parameters: pH 7.8 stable; hard water (tap); 0 ppm ammonia/nitrites; 20 ppm nitrates.
    Plastic plants.
    Use 3 IAL (Indian Almond leaves) per month.
    diablo2.jpgdiablo1.jpgloki.jpg

    Before:
    Loki (before).jpg

    After disease:

    Loki (after).jpg
     
  2. AngelTheGypsy

    AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

    I don't know what you might be fighting, but reading your post made me think of another thread. Maybe you can compare?

    Iridovirus In Bettas

    Important - Iridovirus In Bettas

    Also if your carbon is less than a month or so old and you left it in with meds, it would have removed the medication your were dosing, making it ineffective.

    I hope you can figure out what is going on with your bettas.
     
  3. KinsKicks

    KinsKicksFishlore VIPMember

    It looks and sounds like dropsy; pineconing, loss of color and the swollen abdomen, the works. However, it could be in combination with their age, if their old, their immune systems aren't the best (hence illnesses) and old age usually leads to decreased activity and color as well. How long have u had them?
     
  4. OP
    OP
    daveisfishin

    daveisfishinNew MemberMember

    The 2 bettas in particular we had this issue with were imported from Asia. Not sure of their age, but they were expensive and of better quality than what's available locally. We drip acclimated them and they did just fine for about 3 months and then bam - one died, and a few weeks later, the other died. We're back to 3 bettas again, all locally bought. No major issues other than popeye in our purple male betta who's going on 5 yr. old (the popeye is almost gone now after daily epsom salt dips).
     
  5. OP
    OP
    daveisfishin

    daveisfishinNew MemberMember

    We do have 2 dwarf gouramis in the other tank, of which the gravel cleaner has been shared amongst the 2 tanks weekly. The gouramis are bloated but otherwise act normal. We've since stopped sharing the gravel cleaner between tanks - each has its own now. I'm looking into the Iridovirus info... interesting. Thanks for the feedback.
     
  6. OP
    OP
    daveisfishin

    daveisfishinNew MemberMember

    We medicated using a dedicated 10 gal. QT tank with no filtering - just heater and aeration.

    Thanks for this info!
     
  7. CindiL

    CindiLFishlore LegendMember

    Hi, welcome to the forum :)

    That thread listed was one I wrote I think. I have gone through this with many bettas. I am 99% sure it is iridovirus though I will never know for sure so that leaves the 1% lol. The pale tummy and bloating were the signs I also saw first, that and they'd go off on their own, get lethargic, stop eating. Some developed dropsy. None of mine developed fin rot but being that they're girls with short fins that might explain why.
    As you can see from that thread I tried many different medicines like you, nothing worked or helped in the least and none of my other fish (this is a sorority) died in the tank.
    I have some articles I was meaning to read up on it.
     




  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice