Bettas dying in a day

Ayane

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've noticed that one day they're bloated and laying at the bottom of the tank. And no matter what I do they die they same night. There's no changes in parameters, or feeding problems. No new decorations, tank mates etc. I see bloating I give them an epsom salt dip 10-15 mins, I cleaned the tank (not the filter) 50%+ water change. Add general meds from my LFS (they have their own brand that works wonders in spite of my losses) and just watch them die. They're aclimmate, temperature match and I have no explanation.
I'm hoping someone can explain how no matter what amount of research, care or experience I gain my bettas have died over and over. Only 2/9 have been seen sick and survived more than a day (over the course of a year)
I'm in Canada where most fish meds have been banned. So I've long since depleted my supply of kanaplex. (not that it worked to save any of my fish) and do not have access to more or similar products.

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
quote: ' I cleaned the tank '

what specifically does this mean?

I ask , because I had a co-worker clean her betta tank years ago using house supplies & killed her fish

OP
A

Ayane

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This forum always assumes the stupidest things but fine I'll go in order.

TucanSam said:
What's the stocking? Tank size? Water parameters? Are they healthy looking when you get them?
This specific one :
1 betta 1 nerite, 4 gal, 82°,0 amm, 0 nitrite, nitrate low/barely read (bare bottom tank with dwarf water lettuce and marimo moss ball) ph 7.4 dechlorinated water using prime and a single sponge filter that's cycled 6 weeks before adding. I use IAL regularly and in my water changes.

All of my tanks are similar with varying nitrate and temperature. I have a 30 gal sorority tank and another 2 males in 5 gals one of those is planted.

The bettas I buy are always healthy looking, vibrant colour, full fins, mostly active, no parasites, or swim bladder issues and they're quarantined seperately for 2 weeks before being put into any tank of mine. My sorority requires extra care and always has the possibility of going side ways, but I've had girls die the same way as described. Not from from bullying, not from under feeding or over feeding, or parameter spikes. So I must pick the compatible ones.

Debbie1986 said:
quote: ' I cleaned the tank '
what specifically does this mean?
I ask , because I had a co-worker clean her betta tank years ago using house supplies & killed her fish
I'm sorry but I'm not a dumb as your coworker. I have a silicone scrubber that when new was bleached (1:6) for 2 mins and heavily dechlorinated, dried, dechlorinated, once the water it's soaked in had no chlorine in it I use it to wipe the inside of my tank, there's a different one for every tank in my house. Normal I rinse the filter in the dirty water but I did not do that this time because of the huge water change.
My plants were removed (water lettuce and moss ball) and a 70% water change with dechlorinated water.

MacZ said:
2 out of 9? Did you buy them all from the same source?
I figure that might be the problem a long time ago. Especially when I realized the pet store employees know nothing at all about betta care.
So most of them I purchased from my 2 lfs, one imports them in bulk from overseas, the other I don't know their source but the employees are knowledgable. People travel from all over because its one of the most reputable stores in my province. Again over the course of a year. And my 2 surviving ones I picked up from PetSmart. Location to me doesn't seem to matter now that I've purchased from about every known store with good care and stocking.

Still looking for something constructive here.

TucanSam

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Whoa there, calm down. We're only trying to help and you only have us partial information. We aren't assuming you're dumb, but the mortality rate is high so something is going wrong on your end. Insulting us is not a great way to figure out what is going wrong.

Good luck.

New Threads