Bettas compatibility

1. jenny31 Guest

I want to add a Betta to my 20 gallon aquarium. I currently have 3 angelfish and 1 pleco. I know that Bettas will fight other Bettas but will it be ok in my 20 gal?

Regards - jen

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Hi Jen,

I like bettas but I think that adding a betta with angels is a bad idea. The betta can become aggressive towards other bettas and fish with large fins.

I probably wouldn't add much more to your tank. Plecos can become very large (12 inches plus) and along with the angels (6 inches plus) you will be approaching the limit for your tank.

Thanks,
    Mike

3. joe Member Member

i conquer with mike on that one that bettas are not for the community tank

4. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Mike, but for the opposite reason. Some Bettas can do great in a community tank, but their beautiful fins and slow-moving nature make them a perfect target for more aggressive fish like Angels. And plecos have the potential to reach 18", which would make yours WAY uncomfortable in a 20-gallon. You might want to think about starting a new tank, like, 55 gallons. Then you can also think about getting a few more fish. But make sure it's fully cycled and the water perameters are exactly the same before you even think of moving the fish.