Betta's color changing

nmwierman1977
So, as you all know in Antisons thread RJ last week wasn't feeling too great. I thought maybe it was due from those white things on his tank walls. His color in his rear back area was changing too. He wasn't giving off a whole lot of symptons of being sickly. He was just very sluggish and playing lazy a lot. Not like him at all though, so I was a little worried. I decided to medicate him with Maracyn plus and rid fungus just in case he had something brewing in his system. Well the following day after I started medicating him he was back to himself. He never stopped eating and was still swimming around like normal. Friday I went to petsmart to get some parasite clear cuz his course of maracyn was done by then, so I was going to put some of that in Saturday after I took out the other meds and did a water change. Well Saturday morning he was perky as ever and very active, so I never used it. I gave his tank a good cleaning, put a carbon fiter in and he was happy as can be. Not that he wasn't all week though. The only time he was mopey was Sunday morning and Monday, so I started medicating him. He continued to eat like a piggy all week. So, my question is this since his color was changing in certain areas I'm wondering if maybe that effected his body somehow and made him more mopey and tired? This seems to be a permanent color change and to be honest I think it's kind of cool. His back end except the tip of where his tail starts is kind of like a pink color with the little spots of the purple in it and it's on both sides of his body. I'm relieved that it was just his body changing color and not something serious and his color fading cuz he may have been sick. He wasn't sick at all it seems. Btw, he is now a yr old. He turned a yr old last month sometime. I figured it out cuz when I received him he was only 3 months and I received him in April. So, I guess maybe his color change has to do with him coming into adulthood. I'm not sure though. This is all just an educated guess. If anyone know, please enlighten me. ;D I'm sure Rose will know about this cuz when she had Marty he went through a drastic color change as he got older too. Did he go through a mopey stage when he went through this change? Natalie

Drea
Glad he's doing well, Natalie...

nmwierman1977
Thanks Drea. I'm just relieved he wasn't sickly. Natalie

Narcicius
the color change is very interesting, and I'm glad your fish is alright, enjoi the new look.

nmwierman1977
Thanks

chickadee
Yes all my fish have undergone seriously radical color changes since I have had them and not all of them have had symptoms of illness. The kinds of color changes you have described have been present and then faded or become permanent depending on the fish. Most of my little ones have gotten darker but Triton is getting lighter. That may be because he really doesn't have any darker to get. He is still eating like a little piglet and swimming and seemingly okay except he does have a mouth problem right now but I attribute that to his being in the bucket in the water that cooled down when I was cleaning the tank. So I think as long as RJ is not having any other problems, then he is not sick but going through a life change and more power to him. Good for him and may he just continue to become more handsome. If that is possible.

Rose
:;hb

Narcicius
Wow I'm getting pretty interested in these fish that develop new colors over time, the sickness you describe is a little scary but to see a fish permanently change color is an experience I wanna have. I'm not ready for any new fish though so I can't risk one dying just to see this change...maybe later.

janoue
It could be the maractyn-plus as well. Joey faded a little bit on my while I was treating him with that and rid fugus. This is just an educated guess (so bare with me ) but on the maractyn-plus bottle is says how the medication molicules actually attach themselves to the infection on the fish. I'm just wondering if this isn't just a chemical reaction that will ajust itself over time. Joey is fine now. All one colour.
Jan

Narcicius
Hey janoue do you own the fish that is in you avatar photo because I have never seen a betta that was a solid ruby color wow its quite impressive.

nmwierman1977
It could be the maractyn-plus as well. Joey faded a little bit on my while I was treating him with that and rid fugus. This is just an educated guess (so bare with me ) but on the maractyn-plus bottle is says how the medication molicules actually attach themselves to the infection on the fish. I'm just wondering if this isn't just a chemical reaction that will ajust itself over time. Joey is fine now. All one colour.
Jan

No, the color change started before I started medicating him. He's been off the medicine since Saturday and he's still changing. I think it may just be his body chemistry changing or something now that he's a yr older.

So I think as long as RJ is not having any other problems, then he is not sick but going through a life change and more power to him. Good for him and may he just continue to become more handsome. If that is possible.
Thanks ,Rose
You have more experience with it then I do. I just wanted to be sure. Natalie

COBettaCouple
Maybe he's got a new birthday suit?
No, the color change started before I started medicating him. He's been off the medicine since Saturday and he's still changing. I think it may just be his body chemistry changing or something now that he's a yr older.

Thanks ,Rose
You have more experience with it then I do. I just wanted to be sure. Natalie

Narcicius
The birthday suit idea is pretty funny. I laughed a little.

nmwierman1977
Maybe he's got a new birthday suit?

LOL. I think you're right dave.

Steve106
My beautiful emerald green/blue betta fish has turned 50 percent pink lol. what the heck, I wasn't in the market for a flamboyant pink fish.

Matt B
I don't have an explanation for you but I couldn't help but laugh, a guy goes in and buys a nice masculine looking betta and it decides its more comfortable in a dress so to speak.
I'm sorry that happened to you, now you'll have to explain to your buddies how you didn't actually want a pink fish.

Magoo
Lol all bettas are beautiful I've heard of bettas changing colour Mordin when I got him he was pure white and now he is a soft yellow with black marbling and an electric blue tint to his tail and tips when the light hits it. Suppose not as dramatic as yours

At least it shows he is happy in his new home

Steve106
he's changing more and more every day...i'll post a before and after pic when the transformation is complete lol

Steve106

2-83E0F583-840728-800.jpg
IMAG0075.jpg

Cichlidnut
Sounds like your betta has the marble gene. It's quite normal for them to change colors.

Steve106
Magoo your betta's coloring sounds gorgeous!

oscarsbud
You didn't know you had a closet in that tank did you

monkeypie102
xD you guys are so mean... and there is nothing wrong with a nice pink betta I love its coloring!

Terra
My Grumpy went from white/cream/yellow color to pastel pink with blue highlights, lol. He's getting pinker by the day. I already had a solid red one, looks like I'll end up with two!

monkeypie102
My Grumpy went from white/cream/yellow color to pastel pink with blue highlights, lol. He's getting pinker by the day. I already had a solid red one, looks like I'll end up with two!

Because pink bettas are boss I have a super florescent Pink betta!

Crescendo.jpg

Magoo
Magoo your betta's coloring sounds gorgeous!

Thank you Steve he is pretty and he knows it lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354779801.140297.jpg
His name is Mordin he has got his own thread in bettas if you would like to see some more pictures

Aquarist
Good morning,

Yes, a marble gene is causing your bettas to change color.

My boy Wriggley that I had a while back:

Before:

After:

Ken

Terra
Mine's getting the blue highlights in all the exact same places and ways as your 2nd pic there Ken, he's still a much more pale pink though.

foxhill2
I've heard that bettas do change colors but this is amazing.
This guy is from my 1st spawn that hatched 8 months ago.

blue and white betta 1.jpg
Picture #1 was taken June 22. He was solid blue with only a small white edge forming on the end of his tail.
The next were taken july 13th, july 15th & the last ones (with the most white) on the 18th.

IMG_0110.jpg
IMG_0103.jpg
IMG_0165.jpg
IMG_0164.jpg

Dad & Mom:

colorful betta boy.jpg
betta female.jpg

junebug
lol hello marble gene!

foxhill2
lol hello marble gene!

But that fast? I had no idea they'd look that different in 2 days. You gotta love bettas.

thefishdude277
Woah, can't wait to see my betta change

foxhill2
How old is your betta Fishdude?

BornThisWayBettas
Whoa, yup, that's incredible!

thefishdude277
How old is your betta Fishdude?

Don't know
They were from petco
I got 2 yesterday

junebug
But that fast? I had no idea they'd look that different in 2 days. You gotta love bettas.

Dude one of mine changed from a pastel marble to a metallic green with red wash overnight. Like one day he was a grizzle, the next, he was a metallic green.

Aquarist
Hello,

Wriggley is now deceased but thought you might like to see another color change. He was a wonderful fish. I had his photo enlarged to 8x10 and hung it on my wall in my fish room.

Ken

foxhill2
Don't know
They were from petco
I got 2 yesterday
QUOTE]

Did you take pictures of them yet? Post them when you do

foxhill2
Dude one of mine changed from a pastel marble to a metallic green with red wash overnight. Like one day he was a grizzle, the next, he was a metallic green.

That's cool Junebug, they really are amazing to watch!

foxhill2
Thanks for the post , Ken. Wriggley was so beautiful! Would never have guessed those pictures were of the same fish!
I guess my bettas were always in their final color phase when I purchased them so I didn't get to see the patterns & colors change! Just another reason to like them,

Tiny goatfish
Wow he's bueatiful! My betta is a marble to, it's awesome that they can change colors so quickly!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Solved
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Top Bottom