Bettas and shrimp

gmann21193

can a betta co exist with 2 bamboo/fan shrimp in a 5 gallon tank? what are the risks?

emilai333

I've seen a lot of people say that the betta will eat the shrimp.

gmann21193

uh oh! lol I guess I can't do that then. Darn.

cherryrose

Yeah, it's a shame that you can't have both in the same tank. Those shrimp are cool. 8)

CherryRose

gmann21193

thanks!

COBettaCouple

Yea.. those shrimp could give the betta a serious case of overeating unfortunately. It could work out, but is just as likely to end in dinner.

gmann21193

darn... now I hav to wait till they die to get a betta :'(

loubie

In my LFS they had a 5 gallon tank with betta in and 2 shrimps, I actually watched the shrimp walk over the betta literally and the betta didn't even flinch! They have been in the tank with him for a while - I'm practically in there everyday.

gmann21193

well I think its better safe then sorry for me. My shrimp have been in the tank alone except for a couple danios for over 6 months. who knows how they will take to a new addition...a Betta!

Phloxface

Danios are not good tank mates for Bettas either. They tend to be fin nippers. Some shrimp have been known to attack and kill fish. Those claws scare me. I wouldn't want a shrimp anywhere near my Bettas!

gmann21193

my shrimp don't have claws. they have fans

griffin

I think the shrimp is much more likely to suffer damage than the betta. the fans, from what I can tell, basically just filter water

gmann21193

yes that is right. the shrimp have no ways of defense

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom