Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Bettas And Salt (looking For Opinions)

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Bettaish, Apr 13, 2019.

1. BettaishValued MemberMember

In all my years of keeping bettas I've never once used aquarium salt on them. I'm that paranoid betta keeper that hears about one bad experience and tosses the whole idea out the window. Some of my bettas just have health problems though, such as biting their own fins (bad genes), ongoing popeye, etc. Basically, does anyone have advice on whether or not to use aquarium salt with bettas?

Also, would it be harmful to put a little (I think one teaspoon) straight into their tanks? (I would dissolve it first, of course). They're all in ten gallons and I really don't like taking fish out of their tank unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2019
  2. bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Do you have live plants in there?
    One of the aquarium coop YouTube chats/podcasts talks a lot about salt, and I found it very useful. I suspect it will be very reassuring to you, and give you a better idea of what it can and can’t do, and whether/how/how long to use it. Also how to remove it.

3. BettaishValued MemberMember

I do. Thanks, I'll check it out!

4. UluWell Known MemberMember

I think that you should add salt only after a water change.

5. BettaishValued MemberMember

Why? (just wondering)

6. UluWell Known MemberMember

You generally don't want to increase turbidity on a vulnerable fish.

7. BettaishValued MemberMember

How would salt increase turbidity?

8. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

This is my go to salt link. Answers a lot of questions.

I am not anti salt. I believe it has its place. I successfully treated a bad case of finrot with salt and daily water changes in a week and this was a sensitive softwater EB ram. She fully regrew her caudal fin in 2 weeks.

9. UluWell Known MemberMember

That turbidity goes away as the salt disolves, but my point is you don't want to make the water less fresh, so you do a water change before you add the salt so the water is nice and fresh.

10. BettaishValued MemberMember

Ah, okay.
    I'm doing a water change today so I'm going to add a little bit just to see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the help1