Bettas And Rasboras Question

1. Compatability

Compatability Valued Member Member

Since I added rasboras to my tank with my Betta my betta doesn't come to the top to eat anymore, he waits for the food to fall closer to the bottom. The rasboras stay to the front of the tank while the betta stays closer to the back and doesn't swim the entire tank like he used to, is this normal?

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like he not very happy about the new additions.

3. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

He may be stressed from them, have you noticed any aggression/chasing from either side? What’s the tank size/parameters? Temp? Is it heavily planted?

4. OP
    OP
    Compatability

20180203_124753.jpg

It's a 5 gallon tank, with a silk plant, live plant, plastic grass cluster, and a moss ball. He hasn't shown any aggression at all, stays completely away.

I keep the temperature at 74 degrers

5. Platylover

Ok, so it’s overstocked, doesn’t have enough room to hide and break line of sights, to low a temp for a betta, and also doesn’t have enough plants/decor... he’s probably really stressed out right now. I’d suggest removing the rasboras and just keeping the betta in the 5g.

6. OP
    OP
    Compatability

20180203_124602.jpg

Is a 3 gallon tank big enough for 3 rasboras?

20180203_123525.jpg

7. Platylover

No... 20g is really the minimum and they really need at least 5 as they are schooling fish.

8. OP
    OP
    Compatability

What should the temp be set at for a betta?

9. Platylover

Around 80F, here’s a good caresheet that goes into temp and such if your interested:)-
    betta caare sheet

10. OP
    OP
    Compatability

Thank you very much for your help, you've been very helpful.

11. Platylover

No problem, glad I have been of some help.:)

12. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

I just added a small school or rasboras to a 4 foot 55 gallon and they are very active and use the whole length. I have 4 bettas each in a 10g and can’t fathom mixing rasboras in those tanks.

They should be in a group of at least six. I agree with previous posters - I don’t think any of the fish would be happy in that small a tank, sorry !

13. OP
    OP
    Compatability

I am going to take the rasboras back hopefully tomotomo depending on the weather here. This way my betta can have his tank back. Should i get something else for him to hide in he has a log, a clump of silk flowers a alive plant and a plastic clump of grass. Also a large moss ball.

14. Platylover

His tank seems a little empty, I’d suggest getting a few easy live plants(Anubis and Java fern for example). For a 5g, 1-2 anubis would provide a good bit of cover and resting spots for the betta. Of course if you find any fake decor/plants you like that are fin safe(don’t tear pantyhose is a good judge on if they’ll tear fins) then that’s great too.:)

15. OP
    OP
    Compatability

Ok thank you I will get the anubis and a Java fern. The pet store is who told me to get the rasboras. But I'm taking them back today. I do have 1 live plant in the tank now, so I still should put one Anubis and one Java fern, is that OK?

16. Platylover

If it’s just the betta you don’t have to add more plants if you don’t want to, but I do suggest it as it gives them cover and they enjoy resting on the broad leaves of the Anubis. So yes, that’s be fine.
    Pet store employees tend to not really know what they’re doing(lack of training), so it’s best to not listen to them to much. They’re also trying to make a sale, so they may purposely give misinformation for the extra sales they get. Overall it’s best to research it yourself at trusted resources and if your not entirely sure if it’s the correct thing to do, asking at places like this is never a bad thing.:)

17. OP
    OP
    Compatability

Thank you again you've been very helpful.

18. OP
    OP
    Compatability

Hi, I wanted to update my tank problems. I took your advice took the 3 rasboras back to the pet store i vacuumed the tank, added new live plants the ones you sugested, 2 java ferns, 1Anubis I think the one live plant I originally had is also a Anubis, so 2 anubis and 2 small Java ferns no plastic plants, I have a ceramic log 1 bottom feeder and 2 snails. My Betta is so happy now, I can't believe it, he comes to the top to eat now, and you won't believe this but I put my finger in his tank and he actually swam around my finger touching me as if to say thank you. Now he does it all the time! I raised my 5 gal. tank to 77 degrees. I want to thank all of you that helped me save my betta!

I do have a question is it normal for snails to stay at the bottom of the tank? Both snails just stay at the bottom.
    I have pics in my thread of my snails. Let me know if you don't see them, the smaller snail, looks like he's upside down can you tell me if he is, or is this normal? Thank you again!

Attached Files:

19. B

Becknewt24 Valued Member Member

20. OP
    OP
    Compatability

I don't know what it's called it
    is a very small fish with a black stripe down its side. I tried to find it to get a picture, but it's so small and dark against my black gravel.
    I'd have to wait until he's on the side of the tank.
    Also, my betta is so much happier since I removed the rasboras, but when will feed him he comes to me and touches my finger if I put it in the ttank. My question is that he seems to hang around the corner that time feed him in, does this mean he's hungry or bored? I feed him pellets 3 times a day 5 pellets and in between he gets a couple of freeze dried blood worms. Please help! Thank you.