bettas and plants

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I now only have a male betta (inari) I'm going to get him a 5 gallon next weekend when i get paid ;D but i was also wondering if he would like plants, snails, and maybe some one else to keep him company he has been very depressed since Tenshi died what if anything could live with him in a 5 Gal or would i need something bigger and how much do the small snails add to the bio load?

I know this is more than just plants and bettas, sorry, but i'm wondering

thanx

brent

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cories would probably overstock a tank that size. Otos are very sensitive to nitrates but if you could do extra water changes (more than weekly) and keep the water really clean they might work.
He would love having some real plants--get some with big leaves that he can rest on at the surface.
How much bio load a snail adds depends on the size. Some are tiny and some get really big.
If you could get a 10 gallon that would be better if you want to get any catfish with him. Be sure to add the Betta last to the tank.

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ok well this is a dumb question i know but why would i add Inari last to the tank? (Inari is my male betta) how big to otos get? and could u name some plants that he would like with the broad leaves? what Kinda of snails would be ok and catfish i didn't even think of them...

I know a lot of questions

thanx for your patence with me

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
From what I've learned on this forum you add the betta last to the tank because then he feels like he is going into someone else's home rather than feeling like others are invading his. The adjustment is apparently a lot smoother that way.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Inari's situation is really different than the normal one and in his case he needs to go into the tank when you get it. He has been in an unfiltered, unheated tank for too long already. Is there anyway you can get some Bio-spira and put it in the tank so it will be cycled instantly for him? I can give you a place to order it if you can order things online. (see below) Also please get a heater with an adjustable thermostat and set it at 80 degrees (5 gallons need 25 watt heater or at the most 50 watt) Get a submersible on that can go all the way into the water if you can instead of the kind that hang on the side of the tank. I know they cost a couple of dollars more but they last a lot longer.

On the Bio-Spira, be sure to get the Freshwater version if you get it and be sure to shake it up good before you add it to the tank so all the good stuff is mixed up in it good before you dump it in. This will make the aquarium safe for him right away instead of 4 to 6 weeks from now.

I do hope this has helped. and I am so sorry about Tenshi I am sure that Inari does miss her even though they were seperated.

Rose
:'(

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Chickadee, I noticed that the Bio Spira on the like you gave is $18.99. I found Bio Spira on another site for $8.99. I think It's the same one - maybe it's smaller (not sure), but it's definatly cheaper :-

Gwenz

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
thank you for the websites both of you I will probly get the smaller amount especially since about 1 oz treats a 30 gal I only need enough to treat 10 gal

thanx both of you

brent

PS where can i find good hardy plants to put in with Inari and would u suggest snails?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well if one ounce treats 30 gallons and you are going into a 10 gallon then it is 2 teaspoons of the stuff. I used the whole 3 ounce bag in my 5 gallon. It worked. The site I gave you for the Bio-Spira is actually a site called: they have great plants but they are expensive. The very best plants in my aquarium came from Off-ice (one of our forum members) He does occasionally advertise plants for sale under the Buy & Sell & Swap Section of the Forum. There is a site about aquarium plants that will help you choose some that are right for you They have a lot of folks there who are just full of plant information.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
alright thanx what is the website of his?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom