Bettas and Neons?

Eskielvr

Reaction score
I kind of wanted to add a Betta to my tank that has shrimp and neons. Someone at my fish store told me they might be inclined to try and eat the neons, whereas someone else from a different fish store said the opposite would be more likely to happen, ie. the Neons nipping at his fins. I've had a Betta in with my Glowlights before and they all left each other alone. I'm just wondering if this is a good idea, though I am trying to stick to the South American theme.

heatmisr

Reaction score
I've heard it said many times that it is not a good idea to have a betta with tetras because tetras are fin nippers. I am not an experienced fish keeper, this is just info I have picked up from all the reading. I am sure one of the more experienced keepers will chime in soon.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That would definitely be a bad combo. The Betta would eat your shrimp, while the Neons shredded his fins. (well, actually, it all depends on the individual fish whether or not there would be fin nipping...but I consider it way too big of a risk to take.) Sorry. :-\

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unfortunately fish do not care what theme we are trying to acheive. Neons are nippers by the reports I have on them and Bettas do not see them as threats so they just let them do it and then infected fins set in and the betta either ends up very sick or dead. Sorry but NO the neons and the betta do not mix.

There have been some that have insisted on putting shrimp in with the bettas and on more than one occasion the shrimp "disappeared". So for the sake of the shrimp, I would say NO to the betta in the shrimp tank.

Sorry

Rose

New Threads