Bettas and Mirrors

Bithimala

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So, a few people on here have said that it's good to get your betta to flare every few days for some extra exercise. I'm wondering how often and for how long. Mine is maybe too skittish, too intelligent, or something, but he seriously just gave up and swam away from the mirror after about 5 seconds... I repositioned it, and same reaction, a few seconds of flaring then back to his normal day.

At least he didn't spend the next 15 minutes swimming around and freaking out looking for the other betta this time, but not sure if this is actually what is supposed to be happening. I thought he would mostly stay flared at the mirror till I took it away.

clk89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The only time I hear of people trying to purposely get their betta to flare is either to take a picture, or to see if the fish can for disease identification purposes. My female betta flares at my husband, as well as my fingers. Funny thing is she eats from my fingers once stops flarring and realizes their is food there.

You could just have a mellow male on your hands, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Some bettas won't flare others will. It depends on personality. I flare mine(and expose them to opposite genders) by placing their jars next to each other. It help condition them for breeding, and gives them something to in their jars for a couple minutes. I only flare them every other day or do though. I usually only leave them for 10 minutes tops, usually around 2-3 minutes.

cooneyms

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My betta is interested in mirrors, but has never fully flared at one (just puffs out his gill thingys, whatever they're called) and tends to get bored of them quickly. However, he does flare at nerite snails often. A few times a month at least, I dunno how often he does it when I'm not looking. I think it is good for him, as a single male betta in his own unthreatened territory, since it might give him a "sense of purpose" in his own fishy way. I could see how too much stimulus with a mirror could stress a betta, but I doubt doing it once or twice every week would hurt. I let it happen naturally now, no mirrors involved. If the slow oblivious snails are the wildest intruder he sees all week, so be it!

Sent from my SM-J320P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

New Threads