Bettas And Guppies

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by T'sTropicalTanks, Apr 8, 2017.

1. T'sTropicalTanks

T'sTropicalTanks Valued Member Member

Can a male betta be kept in a 10 gallon with around 10 guppies?(both genders)

2. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Ime, it should be a 20g or Larger if you want to try a betta in a community.

If you decide to try it with your 10g, the betta may feel crowded and kill the guppies. The betta could also eat any fry, so if you want guppy control, there you go

3. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

No, you shouldn't unfortunately. Bettas can be aggressive towards guppies which is more common in small tanks and you'd be significantly overstocked, especially since you'd have tons of guppy fry. Most people reccomend having a 20 gallon or larger if you want to have your Betta with other fish. How about a Betta and a pair of Nerite snails instead?

4. Balkaran0006

Balkaran0006 Valued Member Member

You could possibly do it but it could become risky. Since it's only 10 gallons the betta might decide to kill some of the guppies. Like said above a larger tank like a 20 gallon would be much better!!

5. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Hey! :)
    Guppies make great tankmates for Bettas ( I've had a lot of success doing it) In your situation he might feel overwhelmed and stressed with so many guppies. I would recommend a 20 gallon aquarium for that many guppies with your Betta. On the other hand, if you are experienced then you could totally try it and see how he does in a community tank. Make sure to take his signs and clues though if it's to stressful. You don't want a dead Betta or dead Guppies. Again, I really, really, recommend a 20 gallon. :)

6. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't condone it. Guppies are very 'full on' fish, curious little things. A Betta would likely tire of that very quickly.

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

No, you can't because even if you did just 10 guppies it would be overstocked, the most I would do in a 10 is 5-6 males. Add to that the betta aggression, and this would be a disaster.....

8. FishL:))

Both of you have probably never tried it. :) LOL

9. Danjamesdixon

No, I haven't - because in my opinion it isn't worth the risk. It certainly isn't something that should be condoned; just because you have had luck, doesn't mean that others will.

10. FishL:))

I didn't have ANY luck at all. Just experience. You don't have to risk anything if you have experience. :)

11. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

I have! Ime, it's best to start with a baby betta and keep it in a breeder net so it can look at the guppies. I usually leave it in there about 2 weeks, then let it go.

Bettas raised like this are nice and don't get stressed. My favorite was a veiltail named Monty. The only thing he ever attacked was baby guppies. I actually started him out in a 10g lightly planted with guppies.

I had another betta that was in my 29g community, but recently lost him to a mild columnaris outbreak. Bettas remind me of pit bulls, where everyone thinks they're mean, but if they're trained, they learn not to attack everything.

12. FishandFun

FishandFun Valued Member Member

I wouldn't suggest it because my Betta attacks guppies in a 20 lightly planted.

13. FishL:))

Yes, well said. Great comparison with pitbulls. It really depends on your Bettas temperament or how you raised them with other fish. :) My Betta is way more happy and active with my guppies. He really enjoys them. :)

14. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

How many guppies did you have with him in the 10?
    I think even for a betta who gets along with guppies 10 is a lot in a 10 gallon and very crowded.

15. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

One doesn't have to try something to know something is risky or dangerous to do. I personally haven't tried putting a betta in a vase with no filter or heater, but it's something that would pose a great risk to that betta so I wouldn't ever do it. Has your betta fish lived five years plus with ten guppies in a ten gallon? Was your betta and guppies always healthy in that situation?

Now to the OP if you want a betta community I would highly suggest doing in a twenty gallon. I would also suggest getting compatible tankmates that aren't too active, have long tails, are known fin nippers, nor are aggressive. The most successful stories I have heard is doing in a twenty gallon, heavily planted tank, with cory cats and one betta. You could try a sorority too, at least seven females in heavily planted twenty gallon put in at the same time. I have heard a lot of those eventually crashing though, could take months or even years for it to not work.

In a ten gallon I would recomend one betta, with nerite snails and if your betta is okay with it amano shrimp.

16. FishL:))

It is probably scary for a beginner to try, but once you've become an experienced fish keeper you know how things work. :) My Betta has been in a community tank all its life, very healthy, great appetite,active, and displaying very vibrant colors. Guppies are my favorite tankmates for Bettas.
    He really enjoys the community life. :)

17. Danjamesdixon

I've known extremely experienced Aquarists have Bettas in communities for years, only for them to one day decide to re-enact the aquatic equivalent of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. They don't attempt it anymore. That makes an experienced aquarist, learning from mistakes and taking on advice. Not successfully performing something once that has been known to end badly for others and claiming it to be safe.

"Tradition is merely an out of date practice justified by the test of time."

18. FishL:))

Sorry, not to be rude, but that doesn't make any sense at all. Bettas are great for community tanks if their owner is experienced. :)

19. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Let's not turn this into yet another Betta debate, the op has been given several opinions, they can now decide for themselves what to do.
    If you want to continue the side discussion then please start a new thread.

20. FishL:))

Thank you. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice