Bettas and guppies

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Christopher, May 10, 2006.

1. ChristopherNew MemberMember

I have always wanted a betta but will they fight with common guppies because Iwas tolled that they will fight with other large finned fish. Also, if i get one, how do i give the betta his/her food without having the other fish get it first can the bettas be trained to be hand fed ???

2. MaryPaNew MemberMember

I would say don`t put the Betta in with Guppies. The reason for me saying tis is because I had a Betta Jump a tank divider and eat my guppy fry. She was bloated and stayed ill for a couple days.

3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

1)The guppies eat much faster than your betta also and he might not get enough to eat.
    2)Guppies are such busy little beasties the betta will be greatly annoyed and start to nip fins I'm afraid.
    3) Your betta needs to be able to get to the surface to breathe without being harrassed.
    They just are not a good mix. Sorry :(
    Carol

4. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Also I've heard of Bettas mistaking Guppies (with their big, colorful fins) for another Betta and attacking them as such. :eek: So they are difinately not compatible.

5. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

It just isn't a good idea for either fish. I agree with the others.

Rose
    :)

6. ricky2272New MemberMember

Hello, In my fish tank i have a male betta and also two male guppys and they get on just fine.there is never any ripped fines or anything. they are all healthy. ;D i think that you are ok to get a betta.

7. BoxermomValued MemberMember

Of course this is just my opinion, but I think its rather irresponsible to recommend putting fish together that are notorious for not getting along. Yes, there may be exceptions to every rule but for the most part, one should consciously avoid purposely putting them in danger.

8. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Please always be aware that the temperment of all bettas do differ. It is really unwise to recommend that someone do something reckless with their pets when it is their tanks that we are trying to help with. Please do not recommend something to someone else based on what has happened in only one instance. It is such a heartbreak to lose fish, and it is not our place to suggest someone do something that would ordinarily not be a good idea. We have some very young members who not only do not have the money to use to experiment with but who are not experienced fish parents and they take things to heart. (I am speaking young in both years and experience) I do not want to see them discouraged because they got the wrong information here and had a fish loss.

No a betta cannot go into the tank with the guppies. One species or the other will attack the other. Guppies have been known to be fin nippers and will cause the betta trouble even if you have a really good betta who decides to leave everyone live in peace around him. Most bettas however, will attack the guppies as if they were fellow bettas (or any other fish with long fins).

Rose
    :(
    :)

9. SunnShadowValued MemberMember

I am not by any means recommend that anyone else do this, but I too have a Betta in with Guppies (and Platys, and Swordtails), and they get along fine.

S.

10. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

My point is that if someone makes an informed decision on their own to put two fairly incompatible fish in the same tank and it works out - Great! but I am trying to keep anyone from making recommendations for others and perhaps getting someone else into a bad situation. It is not meant to be personal to anyone. We have just had so many little ones with difficulty lately, that it is hard to see people slide down a slippery slope toward a problem if it can be prevented. BUT it is always a person's own choice what they decide to place in their tank. Personal observations are ALWAYS welcome :).

Rose

11. inariWell Known MemberMember

i must comment here smart fish tho probly wasn't his/her brightest moment

12. inariWell Known MemberMember

definately from what i have been reading i have seen that male bettas (which are the most beautiful in my opionion) aren't very friendly towards most fish (even females of their own species trust me on that one) anyway if u want a betta I would suggest that u keep him alone or with some snails something like that, bettas are wonderful compions but they get alone best with humans (kinda odd if u ask me) so keep him alone (or with a snail or two) and pay lots of attention to him and to answer ur hand feeding question yes they can be trained to do that mine eats out of my hand almost everday, unless its a pea day!!!
    anyway the best of luck to you
    Brent

13. ecnaj143Well Known MemberMember

See, I don't agree with charts or everyone saying "I wouldn't do it, they don't get along." Its like a critic saying things about a movie, but 99% of the time, the critics are worng, the movie is a hit. (Fot example: Critics raved about the movie King Kong, that it was a great movie, blah, blah, blah. It was whack. I hated and so did everyone I know). So, I just give it a try on my own. Alot of time, they get along. So to be honest, no one really knows if they will get along or not, each fish has his own personality. Another example, my barbs get along with ALL my fish. I havn't seen them nip fins on any of my fish. Actually I see them school with my neons. SO really, again, I say give it a try, each fish is different. (Except if you KNOW that a fish will eat it, like; Angels and neons and stuff like that).

14. BoxermomValued MemberMember

That is very irresponsible advice, IMO. Its not at all like critics being wrong about a movie. Its more like 99% of experienced fishkeepers knowing what they are talking about and trying to prevent the torture of a living being by experimentation.

15. kerryveValued MemberMember

Speaking from experience, I learnt the hard way, I while ago I put a betta with 2 male guppies, they were fine with eachother at first, I dont know if they just got on eachothers nerves but a week later I saw that one of my guppies was missing some fins and my betta was dead. I know now that it was cos they faught. Its very stressful for fish that dont get along to be in the same tank together... But like we all know every betta has its own unique personality... Ive got two males that love eachother, but my situation us unique I would under no circumstances put two together in a tank. So no, I wouldnt put guppies with bettas

16. ecnaj143Well Known MemberMember

Well, my experience is the opposite. So really, you can't say someone shouldn't do it, because you don't know if they will. Its about a 50 50 chance that they will and that they won't. Its worth a try. I mean, at liveaquria.com, they say that they do, obviously they did some research and they got along. So, I mean, everyone has their own opinion.

17. kerryveValued MemberMember

In that case, set up a separate tank to accomodate your betta if they dont get along. Its the only thing I can suggest, but I still advise against it.

18. ecnaj143Well Known MemberMember

What I do is, I make sure that the pet store puts the betta is a bag(i hate the cups) and let the bag float in the tank, see if he flares at them. If he doesn't, they more than likely, they'll get a long.

19. inariWell Known MemberMember

Not always, as most of us know by now male and female bettas don't get along very well....i put tenshi (female) in bag next to Inari and they both seemed to do ok, now once they were mixed that was a whole nother story so the separate tank of your betta is a must especially when ur mixing fish that there is a high chance that they are incompatible!!

20. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

It is my experience that it is better to err in the side of caution. Fish cost money and most aquarium owner invest something of themselves into their fish. I do not want to advise someone to do something that may, or may not, work and "give it a try" is not an option I really want to have expressed here as we are advising someone else who may or may not have the experience to make an informed decision. We should not take the responsibility of advising someone to try something when it has been a problem for experienced fishkeepers. If they choose to do so after hearing the pros and cons it should be their choice.

Rose
    :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice