Bettas And Cories

FishPerson
I have, Once again, an idea for what to put in my 10 gallon tank. I Am going back to the betta option, and, because of the huge popularity I have heard about these guys from other people, Cories. Would this combo work out well? also, what would be the max # of cories I could put with the betta? Any infor about the betta or cories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

FishPerson
I have, Once again, an idea for what to put in my 10 gallon tank. I Am going back to the betta option, and, because of the huge popularity I have heard about these guys from other people, Cories. Would this combo work out well? also, what would be the max # of cories I could put with the betta? Any infor about the betta or cories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Barbrella
The maximum number of corys you can keep is determined by the size of your tank and the size of the corys.

For corys who get to be 2" adult size, you could keep 4, plus a betta.

Corydoras need very smooth substrate, so they don't damage their barbels as they dig for food. They eat a wide variety of food, but expecially love things like bloodworms, which you should put in the tank after lights out so the betta won't gorge and get bloated. Of course you do that after you've fed the betta HIS bloodworms!

You also need to have someplace else to put the betta in case he's mean to the corys. Many people here have found red bettas to be rather more aggressive, so another colour may be best!

Barbrella
It's best to post your question on just one forum, so things don't get confusing.

Hopefully a moderator will delete or lock this thread.

Butterfly
I merged all the posts in to one thread so all responses will be in one place. Hope you don't mind.
Carol

FishPerson
Dont mind at all. Thanks for the help!

COBettaCouple
You could put 3 corys in with the betta. I'd add the corys first, so when you get the Betta later (at least a couple days) he will be more accepting of them. Most of the time Bettas do get along with corys, but have a backup plan if your betta won't put up with them.

Bettas are happier by themselves and some just have to have it that way, even with corys.

FishPerson
Ok Thanks! Also, what type of cory would be best for a begginner like me? I have heard that Pandas are more unhardy than the others.

Blub
Hi!

Albinos, bronze and peppereds. Get 3 of the same kind.

Butterfly
Albinos and Bronze tend to be the most hardy, the do get rather large. I have some that are hitting right at 2 inches so three would be the most I would put in a 10G with a Betta. That's what is in with my betta.
Carol

FishPerson
You have the exact same fish in there as I was planning. Must be a good setup lol.

COBettaCouple
Yea, the albinos are what I'd recommend. They're probably the easiest Cory to find.

FishPerson
well, I'll try to find more fancy ones, but we'll see.

ilovemyfishies
I was thinking of buying a 10 gallon and stocking it with a male Betta.

But I have a few questions:
-Can Bettas live happily with a school of Cory?
-If not can they live with a school of Ottos?
-If its a yes for either of the first 2questions, should introduce the Betta to the tank first? Or the Cory/Otto?

Thanks! arty0049:

Jaysee
Yes, many people have success keeping a betta and corys. Occasionally you;ll find someone who it doesn't work for. HOWEVER, a 10 is not large enough for corys. Ottos are a better choice. I would add the betta last.

BettaBuddy
It didn't work for me. You could try it, but not in a 10 gallon.

ilovemyfishies
Thank you both, BettaBuddy and Jaysee!

How many Ottos could I have in a 10gL with a Betta?

harpua2002
IMO you could try Corydoras hastatus, habrosus, or pygmaeus. They stay very small. Multiple otos will likely starve in a 10 gallon IME.

ilovemyfishies
Thank you, Harpua!

andrearamirezo91
My betta succesfully shares his home with ottos I guess its just luck and it really depends on your betta's personality! As harpua said you could try the pygmy corys too, besides they are adorable! I would also introduce them before the betta

bassbonediva
I have a male betta in a 20gL with two (used to be three ) panda cories and he's fine with them. In fact, he was at the bottom of a panda cory pile the other day (out of the three cory species I have, only the pandas will pile up in a corner and sleep together). However, not all bettas will tolerate roommates. I would have a backup plan if you decide to try a betta with cories.

ilovemyfishies
Thank you both!

And that's cute they pile up together!

Snore
I just put 3 otos in my 10gal with my betta...lets just say the betta didn't like it one bit and he was a relaxed betta with the snail and never flared but then once the otos came no good. He started chasing them but the otos are to fast. So currently I am trying to find a 5 gal for my betta cause hes divide in my 10 now

turtle10
Just be sure to add the ottos to an established tank. They are sensitive fish and not do always eat the food supplemented to them, so it is important to have algae in the tank.

ilovemyfishies
Thank you both

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bettalover101
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Poll
Replies