Bettas and cichlids

1. convict15 Member Member

I have some peacock cichlids and was wondering if I could have a betta in with them? I have a 40 gallon tank and only have 3 cichlids would it be ok to add 1 betta? Thx

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

What???

:;darthI hate to say absolutely NO to anything, because there is going to be that one case somewhere where it happened to work, but those Peacock cichlids will tear up a betta before you can say "Bob's your uncle." I have cichlids and they will rip any tropical fish to pieces. Of course wait for someone else to weigh in..... but I think I am right here.:;swls:;saber

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I've kept a betta with GBRs, but I would never consider putting them with africans. I think that would be one unhappy betta.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

:;bnGerman Blue Rams are so much more pieceful than "regular" Rams. And a lot smaller too.:;tgHappy Easter!!:;fl

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Regular rams? There are two species of rams, bolivians and germans.

6. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

What about electric blue or golden rams? Are they just variations of German/Bolivian rams?

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

they are both color morphs of the german ram.

8. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Lets just say rams are 'community fish' and call it done. While a betta might work with rams, peacocks will see a betta as an excellent snack.

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah no. Not gonna happen. By that i mean, they wont live together, the peacocks will live, the betta will not.

10. deon junior Member Member

the betta will get absolutly ripped to pieces!

11. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Woops I meant Regular "cichlids". Maybe I should not stay up so late, eh?