Bettafix, is it okay?

Hannah1064

Reaction score
My betta has fin rot which I've been treating with IAL and frequent water changes. However, it's not really gotten better. I'm considering doing a little salt or bettafix but I've seen alot of mixed reviews. Can anyone tell me if this is for sure a good treatment option?

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How long have you been treating? The reason betta/melafix is considered a bad treatment is because it can damage their labryinth organ.

OP
Hannah1064

Hannah1064

Reaction score
Platylover said:
How long have you been treating? The reason betta/melafix is considered a bad treatment is because it can damage their labryinth organ.
I haven't started any medicine yet. I've been doing IAL for two weeks plus water changes.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
has it gotten any worse? or just hasn't gotten better? How often are the water changes? I would opt for some minor salt vs the betta fix, but a light round of a antibacterial medication would be better.

JuiceBox52

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would not use it. My betta died from a low dose of it. The oil in it coats the surface of the water and when the bette goes up to breath it can coat the labyrinth organ a d suffocate them

OP
Hannah1064

Hannah1064

Reaction score
Platylover said:
has it gotten any worse? or just hasn't gotten better? How often are the water changes? I would opt for some minor salt vs the betta fix, but a light round of a antibacterial medication would be better.
Yes and no. He had two deeper cuts from a sharp decoration (now gone) that completely healed up. But his tail has this over all ragged look, a few black areas around the edges, and I noticed a very, very, very, very small hole in the middle of his fin today. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and get some salt. What kind of antibacterial medicine would be best?

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You said you were treating with 1AI what is that?

Bettafix/mellafix. It is not medication, it is tonic made of tee tree oil. And it can coat your betas labyrinth organ and prevent it from breathing.

If you are doing plenty of water changes, and the fins are still getting worse, then the fin rot is likely caused by a bacterial infection. I would not use salt, bettas are known to be sensitive to salt. I suggest you try Seashums paragaurd.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kanaplex is a great medication for bacterial issues, so that would be the one I’d reccomend. But if that’s not available api powder antibacterial medication should be useful. Just don’t get anything with tea tree oil in it like betta fix.

If you plan to treat with medication I would forgo the salt as it generally does not work well. Should be reserved for a last ditch effort imo.
Noroomforshoe ial is Indian almond leaf

TeeJay89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've heard nothing but bad things about it..when I first got my betta boy, Red, he had what looked like fin rot too. I used Seachem Paraguard for about a week and it worked wonders!

New Threads