Betta Question

1. benharmer87 Member Member

I came home this morning and my betta is puffing out his gills alot. I never seen this before or heard of it. What is he doing? Something wrong?

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Jasperdog Initiate Member

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

How do you mean puffing out his gills, do you mean he's flaring his fins at you making himself look bigger?

4. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

It sounds like he's flaring. They do that a lot. Flare at plants, heaters, their reflection, basically everything.

5. benharmer87 Member Member

I put the conditioner then added him 24 hrs later

I guess you can say that. So that's what hes doing?

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It's quite normal behaviour, some do it more than others, you can help to cut down reflections by adding plants to the tank that he can swim through & feel more relaxed

7. benharmer87 Member Member

No! They are his gills.

Ok. Thank you

8. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

It sounds like it, but what exactly was added to treat his tank and water, and what are your water parameters?

9. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Now benharmer87, there are threads here about the nitrogen cycle and also a bunch on betta care. You can take a look and there's alot of great people on this forum that will help you! Keep us posted! Let us know how he is doing :)

10. benharmer87 Member Member

I'm still learning about the cycle. So I should of waited two weeks

I used aqueon betta bowl plus. That's what I was told to use from petsmart. My parameters are amm-o to 0.25, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is like 30 ppm

11. bellachan Well Known Member Member

I've not used that. But when it comes to chlorine removal and other water treatment and inhancers (other then medication) you can use other brands. It doesn't have to be betta specific (you will probably save money) i saw something at petsmart that was called "betta water" lol it's just dechlorinated water! It's a waste of money but people fall for it cuz it's labeled for bettas.

Personally I treat my water with prime for my water changes. Since your tank is still going through the cycle just keep doing small daily or 3 times a week water changes to keep the levels low. :) a clean betta tank=a happy betta :)

12. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

The plants should help your betta feel more comfortable and they help keep his water healthier.

What size tank is he in? Do you have any filtration and is the water heated?

13. benharmer87 Member Member

So I can use prime? The person at the store said no. What about tss?

He's in a 1 gallon. Yes I have a filter and no it ain't heated

14. renthus Well Known Member Member

Bettas are tropical fish. They need the water to be around 80 degrees. I find that in some cases I can hold tanks there without a heater, but I compensate with hot lights and a tight hood. Also, a 1g is... suboptimal. If you get a chance, boost him to a 2.5, or preferably a 5.5g tank. They're not expensive.

15. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

Thats flaring just so you have a pic reference :)

16. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

The first thing is that a Betta really does need a larger tank. I recommend a 5gallon tank as a minimum.

The betta does need a heated, cycled tank. If you aren't 100% on the nitrogen cycle, please read up on it (words should be link to article about it) since it is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish.

You can ise SafeStart to cycle the tank. Just do a large water change if necessary to get the ammonia level as close to 0ppm as possible. Then wait 24 hours (this is important). Then after the 24 hours is up add an entire, well shaken bottle of SafeStart. Then do nothing but feed your fish for the next 14 days. On day 14 test and if all went correctly, you'll be cycled.

Prime is a great water conditioner. One thing Prime does that almost all other water conditioners do not do is detox ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours. So if you choose not to use SafeStart, you should cycle the tank by doing daily partial water changes with Prime until cycled,

17. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

you should never ever ever listen to petstores employees unless they are also members here lol most of them are wrong wrong totally wrong you should research fish before you buy them too and can we see pictures of your betta?

18. benharmer87 Member Member

Yup. That's what he's doing

19. renthus Well Known Member Member

Then yeah, totally normal and healthy, it's a betta thing.

20. WiFi Well Known Member Member

It's completely normal, He is Displaying or Flaring. He gets a look of his reflection, thinks its another Male betta and gets defensive.

Beautiful boy by the way! Really like those white betta's!