Betta Question

1. AdamR94 Initiate Member

I really like the look of betta fish and really want to add one to my tank however I have heard they can be fairly aggressive with others but will it be okay to have one in my tank? I currently have 3 platties, and 3 moustache danios. I wanted to ask you guys as I don't want any deaths. Thanks :)

2. renthus Well Known Member Member

Short answer: No.

Long answer: In theory, it could work, but bettas very, very rarely work with other tankmates (including other bettas). A sorority of females is hit or miss, and a male with almost anything is very unlikely to work. If you want a betta, give it its own tank.

3. nhaiflich Member Member

IMO,I wouldn't chance it. Some people have had luck with females, but it really depends on the fish.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. celizabethh3 Member Member

In my experience, I haven't been able to keep even a female betta in a community tank. She was far too aggressive and had to be put back into her own tank after a few days.

That's not to say it CAN'T be done, but it would require a lot of monitoring and another tank in the case that it didn't work out.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. AdamR94 Initiate Member

Okay thanks for the help :) is there any fish you guys recommend that will go well in a community tank?

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

How big is the tank & do you know whether you have soft or hard water?

7. ikkoo Member Member

My betta work extremely peaceful with my neons and shrimp even when eating.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. renthus Well Known Member Member

To emphasize something that's been said repeatedly already:

Bettas *can* work in a community setting. It's just so rare that it's best to just not risk it. Besides, bettas despise fin nippers like most tetras.

9. Crissandra331 Member Member

I think Danios would be a little too active for a beta and would possibly irritate or stress it out..

In the mean time if you could finish answering the questions in your profile it would help us more accurately answer your questions and give more specific advice.

10. AdamR94 Initiate Member

How do I edit my profile? I have tried but I don't know how

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. renthus Well Known Member Member

12. Wnsanford Initiate Member

I successfully kept a female Betta in a community tank for years. All bettas have problems with colorful or flashy showy fish so no goldfish or anything with long fins

13. Clement Chee Initiate Member

I had luck with putting one betta with a couple of danios and neon tetras. They lived in harmony.

However, when I tried placing a different betta in the tank, things turned ugly. So I think it also depends on the behaviour of the betta.

14. atb224155 Member Member

Like what Clement said, it's up to the betta. Some are so relaxed that another member of the tank is not an issue for them.

15. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The thing with Bettas is they can live seemingly peacefully with tankmates for quite a while, then as they mature they can suddenly decide they'll no longer tolerate their tankmates.
    In my opinion it's best not to risk it & keep them on their own.