Betta yawn

1. Mollyluv

Mollyluv Member Member

Ratings:
    +3
    So my betta, Niko, is a sleepy little thing from about noon to 4:00. I don't know why, but I always see him napping or resting during this time period. Anyways, I went over to check on him, and he was sleeping on his leaf hammock. I started to turn away, but I guess he noticed me, because he got up and swam up to the glass. I put my finger up to the side and he opened his mouth REALLY wide and yawned! It was so cute, I wasn't aware that they could do that. I'm not sure if it was a yawn or a burp, but a couple of bubbles floated out of his mouth. Anyone know what the purpose of yawning in fish is?[​IMG]
    This is Niko

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +3,766
    No idea but mine yawn at me all the time. So does my cat for that matter. Maybe it's me!;)

3. JaneGael

JaneGael Member Member

Ratings:
    +24
    No one knows why anyone yawns. True fact, you can google it. Even a fetus will yawn in the womb. My fish yawn too and I think it's just as adorable as you do. Just as adorable is that burp after they eat something.

4. OP
    OP
    Mollyluv

Mollyluv Member Member

Ratings:
    +3
    That is so cool! Thanks.

5. Kalyn

Kalyn Member Member

Ratings:
    +85
    I read that for humans it cools our brains by passing air beside the thin tissue separating our cranial cavity from our sinuses/nose/throat/mouth.

As for fish I read that it was their way of taking in more oxygen from the water column. :)

I don't remember the sources, or I'd link them in.