Betta yawn

1. Mollyluv Member Member

So my betta, Niko, is a sleepy little thing from about noon to 4:00. I don't know why, but I always see him napping or resting during this time period. Anyways, I went over to check on him, and he was sleeping on his leaf hammock. I started to turn away, but I guess he noticed me, because he got up and swam up to the glass. I put my finger up to the side and he opened his mouth REALLY wide and yawned! It was so cute, I wasn't aware that they could do that. I'm not sure if it was a yawn or a burp, but a couple of bubbles floated out of his mouth. Anyone know what the purpose of yawning in fish is?[​IMG]
    This is Niko

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

No idea but mine yawn at me all the time. So does my cat for that matter. Maybe it's me!;)

3. JaneGael Member Member

No one knows why anyone yawns. True fact, you can google it. Even a fetus will yawn in the womb. My fish yawn too and I think it's just as adorable as you do. Just as adorable is that burp after they eat something.

4. Mollyluv Member Member

That is so cool! Thanks.

5. Kalyn Member Member

I read that for humans it cools our brains by passing air beside the thin tissue separating our cranial cavity from our sinuses/nose/throat/mouth.

As for fish I read that it was their way of taking in more oxygen from the water column. :)

I don't remember the sources, or I'd link them in.