Betta Without Heater For A Couple Days?

MaximumRide14
Ok, so right now I can only find 15 watt and 50 watt heaters even though my tank is 5.5 gallons. And the thermometers are 6 bucks. So could a baby betta live without the heater and thermometer until I can get one in a couple days off Amazon? I have amazon prime.

psalm18.2
How warm do you keep your house?

GrayGray4231
Ok, so right now I can only find 15 watt and 50 watt heaters even though my tank is 5.5 gallons. And the thermometers are 6 bucks. So could a baby betta live without the heater and thermometer until I can get one in a couple days off Amazon? I have amazon prime.
Yes

MaximumRide14
How warm do you keep your house?

It gets really hot in the summer but I don’t know the real temp of our house. I have kept bettas without heaters before when I didn’t know anything about fish and they lived

psalm18.2
Should be ok. Guess you don't live in a cold house. It's winter here, but my tanks stay in the 75F range without heaters.

MaximumRide14
Should be ok. Guess you don't live in a cold house. It's winter here, but my tanks stay in the 75F range without heaters.

I hope it’s ok. I got a baby

GrayGray4231
What breed is it?

MaximumRide14
What breed is it?

Well, a crowntail. Is that what you were asking?

Image1522025448.244209.jpg

The Rover
What's the temp in the tank? If you can, try doing water changes more frequently until the heater comes. You don't want the water to get below the mid 70's if possible. If you need to do multiple water changes each day that will help keep the water warmer for him. Also, you could wrap the tank in towels to help insulate the tank to slow the decrease in temp.

GrayGray4231
I think it will be fine in that tank, about how many days are you talking about without the heater?

MaximumRide14
What's the temp in the tank? If you can, try doing water changes more frequently until the heater comes. You don't want the water to get below the mid 70's if possible. If you need to do multiple water changes each day that will help keep the water warmer for him. Also, you could wrap the tank in towels to help insulate the tank to slow the decrease in temp.

I have to get the thermometer on amazon too, so I don’t know. I can do the towel trick though.

I think it will be fine in that tank, about how many days are you talking about without the heater?

Maybe two or three days. Or I could sacrifice a heater from another tank, if it really can’t wait.

GrayGray4231
Maybe two or three days. Or I could sacrifice a heater from another tank, if it really can’t wait.
It should be fine.

The Rover

You can get a digital thermometer on Amazon for $5 or something like that...I think I got two for $8 if I remember correctly. Depending on what the other tanks have in them that may be an option. Other fish can stand cooler water. Bettas need water that is 78-82 if possible.

MaximumRide14
You can get a digital thermometer on Amazon for $5 or something like that...I think I got two for $8 if I remember correctly. Depending on what the other tanks have in them that may be an option. Other fish can stand cooler water. Bettas need water that is 78-82 if possible.

I have a tank with a dwarf gourami and four platies. I also have a shrimp only tank but I have been dealing with an ammonia problem in there and I don’t want to stress them out further.

JLeeM
It should be okay. Our betta did just fine in quarantine for a full week without a heater while it was shipped. Appetite may drop some, but that's not super serious.

abby:)
Yesterday my power went out and none of the things for my fish tank were working. I wrapped the tank with blanket so it would stay as close to the normal 78 degrees as possible. The power was out for so long that it dropped below 60 I managed to have the heater on with a generator for a few hours but she still is barely moving the heater just got turned back on and is heating up is there anything else I can do for her she’s not looking very good

CanadianFishFan
Sadly to just wait

GreekGills
Just slowly bring it back to temp to avoid temp shock. That's about all you can do, but she'll be fine

trash.binh91
You should get a pot and reserve it only for fish purposes, and take some of the water in your tank, heat it up, and slowly pour it back in to raise the temp.

GreekGills
Your heater is back on and slowly bringing it back up, no need for the heated water at this point. That would be a great option for when you're power goes out for an extended period, multiple days with cold weather.

CanadianFishFan
You should get a pot and reserve it only for fish purposes, and take some of the water in your tank, heat it up, and slowly pour it back in to raise the temp.
I think a heater will do it more safely and slowly, but if it got to that you could but right now that's more dangerous.

Is it too quick to let the heater just be on until it back up to temp

CanadianFishFan
Your heater is back on and slowly bringing it back up, no need for the heated water at this point. That would be a great option for when you're power goes out for an extended period, multiple days with cold weather.
Got it before me, great way of putting it as it only should be used in extreme issues like longer times

mattgirl
I agree with those that say just let the heater warm the water back up. It should do it gradual enough to keep it from hurting your betta.

Ok thank you guys

KimberlyG
You did everything you could. You will just have to see how she is tomorrow.

trash.binh91
abby what is your heater

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kamaile
  • Question
Replies
Views
Orion1066
2 3 4 5
Replies