Betta Without A Tail

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Aureus, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Aureus

Aureus Valued Member Member

This morning I decided to go to Ace hardware store to pick up some ammonia, and lo and behold, there was a Petco right across the parking lot. I stopped inside just to get some more cat food, but I had to stop and look at the Bettas. There I found a female Koi Betta (who I think is a boy since I haven't been able to see his/her eggspot) who was missing his/her tail... I tried walking away from him/her, but I couldn't leave without him/her. S/he also seems to have ammonia burns, but s/he still seems to be fairly active.

Tl;dr: I got a Betta who's missing her/his tail because I'm impulsive and don't know how to say "no."

S/he is currently in a small one-gallon tank until I can get my 9-gallon cycled. I added some Prime to the tank and will be performing water-changes every day until s/he can move to a larger tank. What else can I do?

Thanks! IMG_2015.jpg IMG_2013.jpg IMG_2016.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. corywand

corywand Well Known Member Member

Is the one-gallon heated?

3. OP
    OP
    Aureus

Yes, it's heated at a steady 78 degrees.

4. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

I'd add some floating plants for him/her to lay on near the surface, so s/he doesn't have to struggle to breathe.

Once the 9 gallon is setup, just make sure there's not a ton of flow and there's some decor or plants near the surface for him/her to lay on.

5. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Aw, poor baby. :(

All you can do is keep the water warm and clean at the moment from the looks of it.

If there are any infections/fungus issues that pop up there are lots of medication experts to help.

Any body rot or just missing tail?

6. OP
    OP
    Aureus

I haven't noticed anything except just the missing tail, but I'll definitely keep my eye out if I notice any body rot. I'll definitely update if anything changes. Thanks!

7. maeh22

maeh22 Valued Member Member

I'm really glad you saved him/her!!! I'm assuming it's the same with all petcos so she would've probably been thrown away. Literally. Put in the trash.

8. OP
    OP
    Aureus

S/he was 50% off, but really I probably should have gotten him/her for free.

9. -Sofia-

-Sofia- Valued Member Member

I am not totally sure of this (you should probably research it a bit first) but you could add aquarium salt! (Again I'm not totally sure but something to look into) I hope s/he gets better soon!

10. OP
    OP
    Aureus

I was thinking about doing that, but I'm not too sure how much I would need to add or if it would hurt rather than help.

11. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

There are some good articles online about it. Most of the time, its therapeutic.

12. -Sofia-

On the box it should say how much to use, my friend had a guppy in a uncycled tank and his tail slowly came off, I told her to use salt but he ended up dying But I think if you act fast on this problem it could be fixed soon!

13. OP
    OP
    Aureus

Thanks, guys! I'll probably pick up some aquarium salt tomorrow when I go out for lunch.

14. -Sofia-

Keep us updated!

15. OP
    OP
    Aureus

Definitely!

This might seem a little bit random or silly, but does anyone know how my Betta could have lost its tail? I haven't seen any sign of fungus or infection, so I don't think that was the case. Could it have possibly been poor water quality or extreme tail biting?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2018
  16. Gadfly

Gadfly Valued Member Member

17. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

It would have been poor water quality, they likely changed the water recently and added some "medicine" that knocked the fungus off.
    The good thing is clean water and warmth will produce great results. However it is possible she will not regrow the tail if the infection ate into her actual body, she is missing a chunk of her anal fin as well which makes me suspect the infection got to her actual body - but she can learn to swim without a tail and there is a chance of regrowth if it didn't get too far into the body.
    She will be a nice red spotted koi once she gets warmed up to her new home, just got one with the same pale coloring and she turned out to be a rich scarlet color in the spots (she was not happy clamped fins and all, but she is kicking it in a heated tank now). I say she because of the ovary shape you can see.

18. OP
    OP
    Aureus

She's actually swimming really well, better than I expected at least, so I would consider that to be quite a positive sign as she's pretty active. It's a shame that she probably won't grow back her tail, though, but as long as she's happy and healthy even without it, then I'm happy. I can't wait to see her color up a bit! I'm sure she'll be a beautiful fish.

Unfortunately, my camera isn't working properly, so I can't get a picture of her right now, but she seems to still be doing well. She hasn't eaten yet, but I'll try feeding her frozen bloodworms later today to see if she'll eat that. I also came up with a name for her! I decided to go with Winter because she reminded me so much of the dolphin who lost her own tail in a crab trap.

You guys have been so helpful and I can't thank any of you guys enough for helping me out. You are all really awesome.

She ate some pellets! I put a few small Omega One pellets in her tank and she ate them all extremely fast. I'll give her some frozen bloodworms later tonight and see if she likes that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2018
  19. lilabug4545

lilabug4545 Well Known Member Member

If you can, I would do a 50% dose of Super Ick Cure from API, and then change the water the next day (make sure to take any carbon out). It's pretty much diluted malachite green, but if you do just a half dose, it should be a good prventative against any fungus until that tail grows back. Best of luck!

20. OP
    OP
    Aureus

Thanks! I'll look into ordering some tonight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice