Betta without a filter? 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by psalm18.2, Jan 1, 2013.

1. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

How long do you think a betta can live in a 5g without a filter? Water changes bi-weekly. Heated to 78f.

2. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

By itself I would say thats fine :)

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

A long time.

4. Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

I had to place Draco in a 3 gallon for a week with no filter before I took him home. I double-dosed prime every day and did a 50% water change every other day. He's settled in to his new bookshelf tank now;)

Hope that helps.

5. LucyModeratorModerator Member

I agree.
    Bettas don't neeeeeed a filter (did I just say that? lol) as long as you're diligent with water changes.

Watch the parameters and up the changes if need be.

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

As long a there's stuff in the tank, there will be bacteria.

7. kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

My boyfriend kept his betta without a filter for a long time and it was perfectly fine. The betta actually disliked having a filter because with his super long fins, the filter blew him and his food around like crazy. Even with a filter in place, it was turned off frequently.

8. Faber1790Valued MemberMember

I have my betta unfiltered right now. After the last filter broke I tried putting an airstone inside the sponge and she hated. I do a daily 15-20% water change and a 50% weekly. She's happier than ever and I never have nitrates.

9. LorenHuskyValued MemberMember

I had a Betta for over a year in an unfiltered tank that was probably about 1 gallon in size. I changed about 60-70% of the water once a week. He seemed perfectly happy until my brother decided to be nice and do a water change for me, and he went down the drain.. :(.

10. MsheresyValued MemberMember

Omg that's terrible!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice