Betta With White Under Gills Important

1. rhionsayshi

rhionsayshi New Member Member

Hello! This is my first time posting on the fish forums and I wish it wasn’t about something wrong with my betta, but it is. I just noticed some white under his gills as I was cleaning his tank (I use a gravel vacuum). You see, I have always known that he has a black beard, but I have never seen white under his gills before, or any fish for that matter. Also, I fear that he might have swim bladder, but I am unsure.

Here are the tank details:
    5 gallon with plants and a hide for him
    pH: 7.6 (I know that’s high and I can’t get it down, any suggestions???)
    Nitrate: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Ammonia: 0.25

Here are some pictures of his gills:
    Image1526699675.113520.jpg Image1526699706.454559.jpg
    Image1526699855.610290.jpg
    Image1526699883.792448.jpg

To test the water I use the API freshwater testing kit because I know that strip tests are unreliable. I love JD with all of my heart (yes, he is named after the Scrubs character), and I would hate to see him suffer. So, here is a re-cap on the questions at hand: what is going on with my poor JD, does he have swim bladder, and what can I do to lower the pH?

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Don't bother with the pH too much, it will only screw with the balance especially during water changes. At most I would simply add Indian almond leafs.

As for the white near is gills, looks normal to me. Are you refer to the "chin" area or the area just behind his gills (just to be clear)? Your boy seems to be a marbled betta, meaning their colors will change over time. Perhaps it is just a color change

3. WanhiBetta

WanhiBetta Valued Member Member

4. OP
    OP
    rhionsayshi

I am referring to the area in/right next to his gills. The white seems to pop out sometimes when he is breathing. Thank you for all of your help, and I will definitely get some almond leaves in my hands soon. Thank you

5. OP
    OP
    rhionsayshi

I know the general idea, but I will do more research to educate myself on it more. Why?

6. WanhiBetta

WanhiBetta Valued Member Member

The 0.25 ammonia that you have in your tank will be a problem on the long term. You'll need to cycle your tank to get rid of it and make it safe for your betta. You can click on the blue words for more information:
    Nitrogen cycle