Betta With Unknown Spots? Help

1. L

LDan Initiate Member

Hi all,
    I have been treating my betta for ich but am unsure if that is really what this is. These pics are the clearest I could get as he never stops moving.

He has 2 white spots on 1 pectoral fin and 1 spot on the other. They are like grains of sugar.
    He is breathing normally.
    He is eating normally.
    Yesterday when I got home from work he seemed very twitchy and irritated. Of course when I turned the camera on him, he calmed down.
    I have been treating with ParaGuard for 4 days now.
    His behavior is normal today.

10 gallon tank
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 2 (heavily planted)
    Temp 82

Could this be something other than ich? Are there any other diseases that cause these tiny white spots? Since I saw the 1 spot the other day, he got the other two, but nothing else since then. I was told if it was ich that he would be breathing heavily, but he's fine in that department.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. AntimatterAsterism

AntimatterAsterism Initiate Member

My first thought was velvet, but it doesn't look like it in the pictures you showed.
    It could possibly be some sort of fungus? Though honestly, although it does look similar to ich, from my experience, the cysts ich brings look smaller, and there's more of em'. Plus, they target fins more than the body. And it certainly isn't cotton mouth or HITH.

Yeah, I'd wager it's some form of a fungal infection before ich. Ich looks more like your fish got doused by a saltshaker, not really such big dots.

Are there any differences in him minus the dot? Anything up with his gills? Is he more faded? What's the tank looking like?

3. OP
    OP
    L

LDan Initiate Member

His gills look normal. I thought the coloration on his back had gotten lighter the day before yesterday, but it looks normal now. I wonder if I'm seeing things at this point :/

Would a pic of the whole tank help? Or do you mean other occupants? He's alone in the tank.

4. AntimatterAsterism

A full tank picture would be awesome! And I wanted to see the tank and water itself, though I'm sure it's fine, I'm moreso just curious. And hm... I'd keep an eye on the coloration? Bettas tend to get dull when they're not doing too hot. My 5 year old dude is currently on his way out, he was a bit old when we first got him. I'm not too sad, he lived a full life with lots of space to swim and food! Speaking of, how old is yours? I really do think you've got some fungus on your hands, though.

5. OP
    OP
    L

LDan Initiate Member

I got him in March, I think. From PetValu. So I guess he's pretty young. Pardon my tank, I had no idea of aquascaping

Attached Files:

6. AntimatterAsterism

Pardon my late reply! The tank looks alright, the water clarity is good.
    It's not ich, but it's probably fungus. I've never had experience with bettas and fungus, so I couldn't tell you how good storebought fungus treatment is. But I think you should look into treatment, and keep an eye on him! I'm sure he'll pull through, good luck!