Betta with Tumor on Fin?

bumblinBee

I've never heard of a betta having a tumor or growth on their fins, but that's what this appears to be. He's always had a small bump here, but it's gotten bigger this past month and I'm seeing now that it's an open wound. It looks quite fleshy and I can see small swaths of blood in the water when he swims. I don't know if it's an open wound because he tore it or if he's been biting at it, but I want to prevent infection if I can..

I've heard of people sedating and very cautiously removing tumors from bettas.. since it's on his fin it would be a less invasive surgery than on his body.. not sure if it's something even worth doing.

For now I plan to leave it as is and keep an eye on it. He's still eating and swimming around like he normally would so no behavioral changes yet. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. (tank is fully cycled, had been for over a year, he gets weekly 50% or more water changes and tannins replaced). He was a rescue off kijiji, used to be somebody's office fish and I'd like to give him the longest life I can.

Attachments

• IMG_2278.jpg
    IMG_2278.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 20

BigManAquatics

I jave had bettas with that lump, but never really grew or opened up. I would add maybe a couple smaller water changes throughout the week to keep the water good and clean and maybe try some aquarium salt to help prevent infection.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LagerthaM
Replies
Views
Fishbish24
Replies
Views
ahouseofscales
Replies
Views