Betta with TB?

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello everyone, today has not been the best day for me (car flipped, totaled, the usual, but everyone was okay), and it seems to be getting worse. My betta has been swimming closer to the ground for the past few days, and has been still for longer than he used to. I attributed this to him being more comfortable in the tank (5 gallon Aqueon MiniBow set to 78 degrees), and so I didn't think of it much. However, today I came back to him breathing with difficulty at the bottom (difficult because he seemed to gulp every little while), and he seemed to have a lump close to his gills. This is not bloating, it would have been father back on his body, and he is only fed 2-3 pellets every day (he got none today, I was gone). Parameters were 0 amm, 0.5-1 nitrite, and about 5 nitrate. I double dosed the tank with Prime (thought I would be gone for the weekend, lol nope). The tank has been cycling, I used Stability until I saw nitrites. Ideas on why it would show up more than 2 weeks after buying him, and if he has any chance of survival? If it helps, he is currently healing up from a case of fin rot, but it's not serious.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sorry I can't advise on the betta and the water parameters but I just want to say I'm glad you and the people you were with are ok. Sorry about the car also! What a rough day you've had.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you, yeah it's a stroke of luck. Empty road, everyone with seatbelts, someone was able to hold onto the dog, thank goodness

The betta just seems so inactive, symptom of TB or perhaps something else?

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm not sure about TB as I'm not very knowledgeable about diseases but seeing that you have a nitrite reading, it may have something to do w/ it. I'd do a large water change asap.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'll do like a 40-50% change, hopefully it helps. I'm actually surprised my nitrite spiked "that" much, bettas barely produce any ammonia.

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If the tank is still cycling, I would've done daily water changes until I consistently saw amm 0, nitrite 0, and some nitrates.

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with el337 your fish is suffering from nitrite exposure, he is slowly suffocating. If you can move him to a shallow container, so he can get some air that may help. A temporary treatment of 1 TSP of AQ or kosher salt to one gallon of water has saved many fish from nitrite poisoning. And for what it's worth TODAY was your LUCKY DAY!

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
UPDATE: After the water change, he did perk up. The nitrite is at .25, and with Prime he should not be suffering from nitrite poisoning. However, over night his fin rot became worse. It was in the middle of his dorsal fin, a black color that definitely didn't look like fin regrowth. It has taken to one side of the dorsal fin, and now a portion of the fin is hanging, and it will be gone if the rot reaches the other side of the fin. I need actual medication, I don't think clean water will fix this one. Good fin rot treatment for anabantoids?

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Clean water will get his fins healed up. This will give you extra encouragement to do daily partial water changes until cycled. Note that I'm not 100% certain that Prime detoxes nitrites. If you go to SeaChems website and read the Prime FAQ, you will see that they claI'm they were surprised that Prime detoxes nitrites and that they do not know why. But the reason the are confident that it does, is because of customer feedback. How does the customer know Prime detoxes nitrites, yet SeaChems chemists do not know this. They reason I mention this is to recommend you work on keeping nitrites low thru water changes and don't depend totally on the Prime.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmm, very unreliable claI'm that it detoxifies nitrites then . I will get on those water changes!

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
happygolucky said:
Hmm, very unreliable claI'm that it detoxifies nitrites then . I will get on those water changes!
Research it, I never said that it detoxifies nitrite, it will help the fish by allowing the blood in their gills to absorb more o2.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oops, I was actually talking about the label on the bottle, claiming something because a customer said it.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Et tu said:
Research it, I never said that it detoxifies nitrite, it will help the fish by allowing the blood in their gills to absorb more o2.
You may not have said it... but SeaChem claims it. But how do you know it helps allow the blood in their gills absorb more O2. I've never seen SeaChem make that claim. But salt will help the fish absorb oxygen when nitrites are elevated.

Jsigmo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
An airstone might help to make sure the water stays highly oxygenated.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok I don't know what was wrong, but obviously water changes fixed it. I did one about every 16 hours, and my betta is becoming more active. His rotting part of his dorsal fin fell off, hopefully he will begin to heal up now .

Jsigmo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Excellent.

Water changes are always a good thing.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads