Betta With Swim Bladder, Please Help 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by MelloKitty711, Jul 22, 2019.

1. MelloKitty711

MelloKitty711New MemberMember

I've come to the conclusion that this sick betta I picked up has swim bladder. I thought that maybe it was just the high ammonia at first, but he is showing alot of signs of swim bladder. He floats to the bottom of the tank and sort of to the side, and its difficult for him to swim. Hes very lethargic, with some raised scales and fin clamping but he did eat a little this morning.

I gave him an Epsom salt dip yesterday and I'm thinking I should fast him for a day or two now? He wouldnt eat peas and I didnt know if the pet store was under feeding or overfeeding so I fed him. Hes having problems swimming to the top of the tank for air, so would it be okay for me to drain half the water out of his tank and turn the filter off for now since it's not cycled anyway?

I was just wondering if there was anything else other than that and fasting him that I could do. I really want to try and save him. Would a medication help him? 1563810770235.jpg

2. Fishfan1

Fishfan1New MemberMember

It sounds like Your taking the right steps keep trying peas and add oxygen to your tank with a bubbler. if you have a heater raise the tamp a couple of degrees but don’t cook him anti fungal might help but I would only try if nothing else works first he doesn’t look too bloated yet I’ve lost one to swim blatter before and treatments aren’t really affective just keep trying and maybe move the water flow of the filter closer to the water instead of turning it off clean water is important and maybe buy some safe start because you didn’t cycle the tank

3. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

There really aren't any medications for swim bladder disorder. It's caused by bloating that presses into the swim bladder, an organ thing that allows fish to stay buoyant and balance, so when the swim bladder is messed up in any way, the fish can't swim properly.
    The only way to treat is to reduce the bloating affecting the swim bladder.

4. OP
    OP
    MelloKitty711

I did read somewhere recently that bettas shouldnt have peas because they're insectivores, but idk how much truth there is to that so I tried anyways but he wont even eat the peas. So idk what to do. He ate the hikari food I gave him, it's all I had on hand.

5. CheshireKat

In the wild, they'd likely get enough fiber and everything they need in their diet. But in captivity, with the prepared and processed foods we give them, that's often not the case. Peas, greenbeans, etc. can give fish the boost in fiber they need and don't get enough of.

6. OP
    OP
    MelloKitty711

Dang ok. I will probably just fast him and do a couple more salt dips over the next couple days

7. CheshireKat

I'd fast him also if he's not eating the peas. You don't want to feed normal food and cause more compaction.

8. Orion1066

Orion1066Valued MemberMember

If someone can advise me on how to feed my Betta a pea, I would be most appreciative. Perry is the most finicky eater I have ever had, He starting to be more selective in his eating habits. He gets a different food each day, (Bug Bites, Daphnia, Brine Shrimp, Blood Worms, Pellets, Tubifex Worms) with Saturday’s off. In the beginning, I tried everything to see what he would eat. Now he eats them all, and I have enough food to last through the Zombie Apocalypse,

9. CheshireKat

Usually fasting is required in this circumstance. Then they'll be hungry enough to eat it. Has anything changed since Friday? Sorry, that was a do-nothing-but-read day for me.