Betta with Swim Bladder Epsom Salt Advice?

Amber818

Can a Betta expert chime in and please tell me exactly how to treat my Betta with Epsom salt? He has a swim bladder problem. He has been having this problem for about 2 weeks since we moved. He can not float and he sinks immediately and he pretty much lives on the bottom now. I’m going to set up a hospital tank for him tonight and I want to treat him with Epsom salt but I need help on how to do it. I’ve heard multiple ways. Thank you!

KristenLD

I'm no expert but here's what I'd do: Take a 1g bowl/container (make sure no bleach or other toxic liquid/cleaner has ever been used on it), rinse it out, fill it with tank water, and add about 1 1/2 teaspoons epsom salt. Stir it around until it is completely dissolved and leave your betta in there for about 10 minutes. Don't add epsom salt to his tank. It will irritate his gills. Hope this helped. Good luck with your betta!

Rose of Sharon

I would also lower the tank water level so he doesn't have as far to swim to get air.

You can do epsom salt baths daily if need be.

If he is bloated, you can try fasting him a few days, and then feed him daphnia, which is a natural laxative.

If his swim bladder issue is not related to constipation, then lowering the water level, adding places at the top of the tank for him to lay (betta leaves or live plants or silk plants) in order to get air easier will help a lot.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nourhanateout22
Replies
Views
Sien
Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views