Betta With Swim Bladder Disease

?

If he doesn't seem interested in eating is he still savable?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Laura Hardy

Laura Hardy Initiate Member

So I bought this guy at my pet store today to try and save him. I'm pretty sure he has swim bladder disease and I don't know if he has any other issues. His little container of water was filthy. I put him in a 5 gallon inside of a breeder box so that he wouldn't be floating around the whole tank. I'm trying to feed him peas but he doesn't seem interested when I get it by his mouth. It seems like he tried it to get a few at the bottom when he was in the store container but now he can't swim down to the bottom of the breeding box to get any once it sinks. I put Seachem Stress Relief in with him. I don't know what else I can do to help him. How do you cure swim bladder disease in a betta. 15267653229221309970525.jpg 1526765383379464498873.jpg 1526765409101505306489.jpg

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Try fasting him for a few days first, see if that increases his appetite. I don't think he's a goner just yet.

You can also try some Epsom salt baths/dips (not in the main tank).

3. OP
    OP
    Laura Hardy

I lowered the water in the tank so that there was only about an inch or an inch and a half in the breeder box overnight. He seems to be doing a little better and is more able to be upright. He still goes to his side sometimes and he is still very bloated but he's been up right for a while. I added a little more water back in to the tank so that he could be able to swim a little better without his fins touching the bottom of the breeder box. He still wasn't interested in eating any peas. I'm going to continue to try to get him to eat some peas and do daily doses of Seachem Stress Relief and see how this turns out. 1526835311609728696666.jpg

4. luckdown

luckdown Member Member

When I was healing up my batch of rescue bettas with sbd they couldn't handle water at all. I kept their water as low as possible until they felt better. With daily 1-2 water changes. And slowly as they got better I gave them more and more water until they ended up in their 10 gallon tank for the remainder of their time with me.

Do a mixture of fasting, feeding peas, feeding just 1 pellet a day or twice a day between this to make sure your fish doesn't starve while trying to help him.

Soaking with garlic usually helps get them to want to eat it.

It'll get better with time.

Mine never fully recovered cuz theirs was genetic but their quality of life greatly improved and they were able to swim fine enough with just needing breaks in a couple of weeks.

5. OP
    OP
    Laura Hardy

Well we have had some success! He finally ate a few pieces of pea today! I skewered it onto a toothpick and held it at the top of the water and he swam over and ate it a few times. As far as I can tell he has not pooped yet (the whole time I've had him) but he only ate the peas like 10 minutes ago so I'm hopeful. He is still in the breeder box so when he poops I should be able to see it because it would just be on the bottom of the box. He still seems just as bloated and he likes to stay at the edge of the breeder box because he can be a little more up right up against a side. 1526922467179428351710.jpg 15269224866632105223320.jpg 15269226235181387818642.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    Laura Hardy

HE POOPED poor thing that looks pretty big probably would hurt coming out. Haha. The poop is the brown blob at the bottom of the feeder box. The green is pieces of pea that fell while I was trying to feed him. 1526942116955663607102.jpg

Attached Files: