Betta with split fins and fin rot.

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by allaboutfish, Dec 16, 2012.

1. allaboutfish

allaboutfishWell Known MemberMember

So my betta has split fins and fin rot and i have no clue why. The tank has been setup for 2 years now. Has always been 0,0,<5. Heavily planted and the only tank mates are cpds. I've been adding melafix at half a dose for a week now and i dont see much of an improvement. I cant really do water changes everyday bc i have midterms this week plus the params are perfect. Ill try adding pics tomorrow. Tapatalk is bein stupid.

2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I find that long finned bettas (hm, delta, dt) get rot as they age. Dropsy as well seems popular in older fish.

3. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

He shouldn't be old though i just got him. Also he had red at the beginning of his fins where the fins meat the body. Hes had that since i bought him along with the split fins and fin rot.

4. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

How big is the tank?

I notice that vita-chem really helps regrow fins. It is possible that what bettas are generally fed is not truly nutritionally adequate for them. If NLS makes a betta formula, I would say try it. Also, melafix only really targets gram-positive bacteria, s if the causative is gram-negative, you need a different medicine. You could try maracyn 2, as it's relatively safe.

Your last post suggests to me that he had ammonia burns when you got him, so it's going to take some time to heal. When you finish the maracyn 2, I would use some Kordon Fish Protector or Seachem Stress Guard to help keep bacteria and such at bay while the fins heal.

5. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

6. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Maracyn (1 or 2), for some reason, does not. Couldn't tell you why, though *shrug* I guess BB are resistant to it.

7. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

I have shrimp in the tank also. Is maracyn safe for them?

8. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

My bettas with large fins have that a lot. Supposedly it's fairly normal because their fins are so weak due to overbreeding of the trait. As soon as his tail is almost back to normal, it'll start splitting again... :;dk

9. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Maybe i should switch the filter to a sponge instead?

Could it be the filter flow?

heres a pic

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012
  10. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Im going to skip the usual "Dont use melafix your killing your fish" routine and just go with the fallowing,

Put carbon in your filter to get rid of the melafix, wait 2 days and then add marcyn2. Marcyn2 works every time IME. Also safe for bettas.

11. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Ok will do.

12. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Don't know if it's safe for your shrimp. You may want to move them out temporarily.

13. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

I dont have another tank to move them to.

14. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

You could put them in a very large jar. :)

15. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

That'd be a lot harder than putting the betta in a large jar. There's like a million shrimp. But I've looked it up and its seems as if its safe. If like to see an experience on here before i use it though.

Also would i remove the carbon on the second day?

16. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Remove the carbon before adding the Maracyn 2.

17. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Ok will do

So I dI'd a Google search on Maricyn 2 after I noticed my plants starting to die off and a cpd missing and apparently it messes up the biological filter also theres no improvement with the betta. What should i do?

18. tunastrack

tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

It is possible the shrimp are going after the bettas fins? I have heard of that happening before. Mostly depends on which type of shrimp. Good luck!

19. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Seachem Paraguard treats fin rot, and will not damage your BB in my experience. You could give that a shot.

20. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

it can mess up the bio filter but it never has mine and iv used it a few times. my plants did ok also...

i did not read this whole thread sorry... did you try daily water changes with fish protector and vita chem?

maracyn plus is available, its suppose to be stronger but your betta looks fine compared to some fin rot mine have had. also maracyn doesnt just fix it like that, it should stop any infection then it will start to heal slowly. i have had many bettas with splits in there fins and they grow back together fine in time without meds.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice