Betta With Slightly Curved Spine

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Neruss8, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Neruss8

Neruss8New MemberMember

I've had my Betta almost a year (I'm not sure how old he was when I got him but he was pretty small so probably only a few months tops). He's always had perfect health. However, a couple of days ago I noticed his spine is newly slightly curved near the tail (photos attached). He is acting totally normal, has a normal appetite, totally active as usual, swimming normally, no signs of swim bladder issues. His appearance is otherwise normal as well. Besides this slight bend, he seems totally normal.

Although it doesn't look like the normal signs of bloating, I have been fasting him for a day and a half now just in case that's it, but nothing has changed. He lives in a 5 gallon tank (Fluval Spec with outtake covered in foam) and the temperature has been normal. I checked the water quality and every parameter was in perfect range.

He has a hammock that he LOVES and he sleeps kind of draped over the suction cup a lot so I wonder if that could have caused this somehow? Has anyone heard of/experienced this? I hate to remove it because he sleeps there every night. He also likes to rest against the intake slits but I've read this is normal with a Fluval Spec and I can't imagine that could have done any damage.

If he seems perfectly healthy and happy otherwise should I be concerned?

Attached Files:

2. Bettafishies126

Bettafishies126Valued MemberMember

What do you mean by the parameters are perfect? What are they? Also he looks a little overweight but I don't know if that could be a contributor to the curve, also I have had leaves for 3 bettas who loved them and never ever experienced that.

3. OP
    OP
    Neruss8

Neruss8New MemberMember

Nitrite 0
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 10
    pH 7

Temp is lower than usual due to sudden drop in temp outdoors the last few days, it's about 78.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice