Betta with similar lumps on both sides Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AmeliaK, Mar 18, 2010.

1. A

AmeliaK New Member Member

Hello all, I'm new here but a friend of mine suggested that this was a good place to ask for help figuring out what's wrong with my betta, Ryuu. He is in a 5 gallon tank, filtered and has a heater that maintains a constant temperature between 78-80 degrees. He has a few small live plants and a cave. Ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates less than 20, and I do a water change once a week.

I had a mystery snail in the tank to control algae, which he did really well, but the snail died about a week ago and that is also when I started to notice a small white spot above Ryuu's right eye. It looked almost like a small pimple or something, and it stuck out a little bit. I also noticed that he has a lump on each side of his body, seemingly identical and above the anal fin, with the scales appearing slightly lighter in colour than normal. He did have tail rot develop a little while ago, but before the snail died and his tail had been previously damaged to it had a tear in it where tail rot was able to set in.

Ryuu still has a very healthy appetite and will swim around when I am near him but tends to sit at the bottom of the tank more than he used to. I think he may be depressed since he enjoyed having his snail friend in the tank with him, especially when I am at school during the day. I have attached pictures to show both the lump and the white thing sticking out above Ryuu's eye. He doesn't really like cameras so the pics aren't as clear as I had hoped.

Please help, he is the second betta I have owned and my first one became really sick and no one was able to help him get better. I was so devastated when I lost my first little guy, and Ryuu has been such a fighter even surviving my roommate's cat trying to eat him.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello AmeliaK and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Oh...poor little guy. Amelia have you seen the fish have a bowel movement? I'm not a Betta expert by any means but there is a possibility of constipation. I really can't say for certain as it could be tumors. Try feeding the boy some thawed frozen peas, slice them in half and remove the shell. Cut them into sizes about the size of one of the fishes eyes. Peas can act as a laxative.
    Best wishes. I'm sure you'll get more responses before long.
    Keep us posted.
    Ken

3. Bisc

Bisc Valued Member Member

I agree with Ken, he does look a little constipated to me. I haven't had a constipated fish before, but I have seen enough to think he may be.

4. f

fishtroy Well Known Member Member

I am thinking that it is constipation due to the swelling being on both sides rather equally. Fast him for a couple of days and feed him the pea, see if he improves.

Welcome to the forum!:sign0016:

5. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks guys, I will try that. I am also going to get another snail today to see if that perks him up at all.

Will let you know how he does.

6. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Amelia :p
    Glad you found it here ok lol
    G.

7. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Haha Amelia, you never told us your friend was Red! The crazy one who gave me a good laugh the other day waiting for her fish. It cheered me up, I had a long day, and following the updates was just what I needed. I shared her excitement!

I hope Ryuu feels better soon, he's a NICE boy!

8. OP
    OP
    A

Haha, ya Red is the one who told me to come on here and get some advice about Ryuu. I got him some meds for parasites and I think they are working because he is currently trying to pass something white-looking, although he seems to be having a lot of trouble with it and is pretty tired.... also doing the fasting and pea thing to help him pass everything out of his system, but he hasn't wanted peas yet.

Will keep updating how he is doing.

9. OP
    OP
    A

Ok, I have been fasting him for 3 days and tried feeding him bits of pea but still no improvement. He tried eating a couple pieces the other day but basically dropped them, I don't know if he didn't like the taste or what because he chased one piece to the bottom of the tank but has not actually eaten any. I am getting so stressed about this since he basically sits on the bottom of his tank leaning on either his cave or the wall, almost like he is trying to keep his balance....

If anyone has any more advice it would be greatly appreciated. I have heard of epsom salt baths but don't really understand how a salt bath would help???

10. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Amelia,

I don't know if an epsom salt bath would help in this senario, they have been used to help with a fish that's "retaining fluid" but I don't think that I'll help with constipation and or parasites that your boy seems to be showing...

Have the lumps grown or changed at all?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice